Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Ping/Latency way higher Gigafast 900

htyaH
13: Advanced Member

I used to get 5ms ping to London (from Coventry), now I am being auto connected to Edinburugh and I get 15 ping to there, when I try to speedtest to London or even right next to me in Leicester I am getting pings above 22...I called in and they just said "they added new servers and there's nothing much we can do"...

any help?

768 REPLIES 768

Gerry_Atric
12: Established
12: Established

OK, you're now the 3rd person reporting this that I'm aware of looking at this forum - I've had the same since last week. Instead of being routed through London, I am now going via Manchester which has made my connections very sluggish and liable to disruption when packet losses occur.

It's clearly not just me then, so something wider is going on and VF seem to be quite tight lipped about it. It would be nice to be told if there's improvement works going on or a fault, but there's no service status page I can check.

I did report this to VF and they have raised a ticket with CityFibre for investigation. 

I am sorry you got fobbed off. Did you call the UK based wifi experts team? I wouldn't recommend the chat box at all, I found phoning the wifi experts team to be more productive. 

Also, if you haven't already, do set up ThinkBroadband's Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM) - you need to enable ping on your router in order for this to work. It will show you the changes in latency and also whenever packet losses occur.

If it helps you or anyone else out there, I would recommend putting in your external IP address in this reverse traceroute online tool. It will show you how the routing is working out, that's how I saw it was going via Manchester when it should have been London! https://dnschecker.org/online-traceroute.php

It's all very well when they 'add new servers' to supposedly improve the service, but they need to be assigned to customers based on geographic location! It's no good for someone up North being routed via London nor is it any good for someone like me down South being routed via Manchester. Something is clearly broken and it needs fixing, its impacting performance and reliability.

This really makes CF's marketing look appalling when they promise fast speeds and low latency and how superior it is to providers not using fibre to the home. The performance I am getting at the moment is making virgin media's DOCSIS look superior! 

htyaH

Yeah I called the Wifi Experts, and all they told me was they've added new servers. Maybe it's still being all figured out and hence the routes are not optimal, so might take another few days. Someone recommended trying a static IP which I did add and it didn't do anything for me. 

In the IT world, when upgrades are done, it usually must work correctly when it goes live. I don't know what VF's internal processes are like, but clearly, this 'upgrade' is not fit for purpose at point of deployment! Was this not tested? Where are the communications? Pretty bad for a multibillion pound multi national! 

htyaH

I did the traceroute and I can see for most hops the time taken is very little, but for the last hop on the end it takes >70, perhaps that node(?) is the issue.

I suspect that's the gateway in the wrong location for you. I see the same for a gateway in Crewe. It used to be in Slough near London for me!

I've hard reset the ONT, rebooted the router, reconnected on multiple occasions and it's still stuck with the northern gateway! 

I know some folks were lucky when it resolved itself after a few days though some reported it went back to the 'wrong' gateway again!

The problematic gateways for me:

9.|-- ae34-xcr1.ltw.cw.net (195.2.8.45) 0.0% 3 73.5 73.6 73.4 73.9 0.3
10.|-- ae8-xcr1.man.cw.net (195.2.9.98) 0.0% 3 82.8 83.1 82.8 83.4 0.3

Ripshod
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

I've been having the exact same latency issues with the same gateways:

9.|-- ae34-xcr1.ltw.cw.net (195.2.8.45)                               0.0%     3   73.4  73.5  73.3  73.7   0.2
 10.|-- ae8-xcr1.man.cw.net (195.2.9.98)                                0.0%     3   82.6  82.9  82.6  83.1   0.3

Confirms your deduction.

I'm on openreach though so it can't be cf to blame - this is down to Vodafone.

West Yorkshire, since @11am yesterday. 

You can see below when it happened and that I tried a few resets.

f818a7df2f1e2bd76c01a947d4f58e660232ac95-21-06-2022

htyaH

Now how do we get this taken seriously? Do you think they're already aware of this final gateway issue or? The Wifi Experts were useless mostly and just waved me off saying 30 ping is more than fine. Not sure what to do besides wait and hope for the best.

htyaH

Mine is 

ae3-xcr1.slo.cw.net (195.2.28.170)                              0.0%     3   73.2  74.0  73.2  74.8   0.8

Fancy a swap, that's the gateway that works best for me!