Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sporadic high latency spikes

prs1000
12: Established

For the past couple of weeks I have been having short periods of high latency. It can be a couple of minutes or if I am not at the PC to reboot the router, it can be 10 to 15 minutes. During the latency spikes I can't even open a website.

A reboot of the router usually sorts it.

This feels like a stupid question but I'll ask it anyway.. If a reboot is the fix, was the issue with my connection or with my router?

I do have another router that I will connect up this afternoon. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Just a quick and hopefully final update.

There have been no issues with the connection for the last 3 days. No large spikes in latency.

View solution in original position

22 REPLIES 22

Cynric
16: Advanced member

If you have been rebooting the router a lot lately then it may be an idea to stop doing so. The circuit may have decied that there is a fault and down-rated the line.

On the THG3000 Line Quality page you should be able to see if there's an issue, it shows as "D (interleaver depth)". It should resolve itself over time if the router is left alone.

prs1000

@Cynric wrote:

If you have been rebooting the router a lot lately then it may be an idea to stop doing so. The circuit may have decied that there is a fault and down-rated the line.

On the THG3000 Line Quality page you should be able to see if there's an issue, it shows as "D (interleaver depth)". It should resolve itself over time if the router is left alone.

Thanks. probably should have mentioned i am on FTTP and an Asus router.

Cynric

Ah, yes. As much info as possible always helps 😀

prs1000

I have changed the DNS servers, although was on google and have never had a problem with them before. I'll leave it for a few hours to see if it makes any difference. it can happen just a couple of times a day and not at the same times so it impossible to predict when it might happen. I'm just trying to get as much info and try what I can think of before spending a couple of hours on the phone to the "experts"

Cynric

OK. Well a traceroute and/or pingpath would show if VF are routing you via the USA or something daft like that. They do have some strange routing strategy at times.

prs1000

@Cynric wrote:

OK. Well a traceroute and/or pingpath would show if VF are routing you via the USA or something daft like that. They do have some strange routing strategy at times.

One does come up as new York but it's probably from C and W and has not had the location updated

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms RT-AC86U-FFC0 [192.168.1.1]
2 10 ms 10 ms 10 ms 90.247.64.1
3 12 ms 11 ms 11 ms 63.130.172.41
4 12 ms 11 ms 11 ms 90.255.251.107
5 11 ms 10 ms 11 ms 151.101.0.81

Ripshod

Not likely down to the asus, though things like AiProtection and QoS would slow your connection.

Can you run a BQM on thinkbroadband so we can see more of what's happening?

I plugged in the VF router last night. Since then I have the cleanest BQM you will ever see. 

So now I need to figure out what settings on the Asus router could cause latency spikes 

Ripshod

On the asus go into Administration>Privacy and withdraw your consent. This will disable any Trend Micro apps running on your router and test a while with the BQM.

Do you run any Merlin/Entware add ons? You can disable these by disabling scripts on the jffs and Reboot. They'll still be there but not loaded, it's just a case of enabling jffs again.

Which asus is it. There a some reports of these type of issues on snbforums related to the latest firmwares, sometimes down to the settings.