Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

TP Link Deco Set Up

S_REX
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Currently I have Vodafone Gigafast internet with a fibre cable coming into my home. This then connects to to the converter which is connected to my Vodafone router. I then have a TP Link Deco Mesh network attached to this via Ethernet. For clarity my connection is: FIBRE>CONVERTER>VODAFONE ROUTER>DECO MESH.

When I am connected to the wifi coming from the Vodafone router I get about 750-900mbps, however, when connected to my Deco network I only get about 450-550mbps. The decos network is getting 800mbps through the ethernet port (the deco app has a built in speed test). Any advice to improve the wifi performance of the mesh network? Could I remove the Vodafone router entirely? Would this help?

NOTE: I normally have my Vodafone wifi turned off. It is only on for diagnosis purposes.

12 REPLIES 12

Jayach
16: Advanced member

Which Deco's have you got? Are you using the Deco's in AP mode?

You should be able to remove the Vodafone router, but you will need to get your username and password from Vodafone and you will lose the phone connection.

WelshPaul

Just replaced my Vodafone HUB with the Deco X20 trio pack and I now have full WIFI 6 coverage throughout my home along with low ping and full upload/download speeds.

(CAT6 cabling, two PoE switches and a FreePBX server and several VoIP phones and ATA's)

Along with my PPPoE info I was given my Vodafone VoIP credentials too. Haven't tried them, I use AAISP, Voipfone, Sipgate and Voicehost. I try to stay away from ISP digital voice platforms. 😂

Jayach

@WelshPaul wrote:

Along with my PPPoE info I was given my Vodafone VoIP credentials too. 

So you could use an ATA or VoIP phone with Vodaphone's VoIP implementation?

So far I haven't heard of anyone being able to get them, perhaps they have listened peoples request's.

WelshPaul

@Jayach wrote:

@WelshPaul wrote:

Along with my PPPoE info I was given my Vodafone VoIP credentials too. 

So you could use an ATA or VoIP phone with Vodaphone's VoIP implementation?

So far I haven't heard of anyone being able to get them, perhaps they have listened peoples request's.

1. Haven't tried it as I never had any intention of using the Vodafone landline. I will setup a trunk later today (maybe tomorrow) and give it a whirl. I expect that Vodafone's SIP server only accepts requests from pre-authorised devices either based off their Serial Numbers and MAC addresses or some pre-installed certificates, so don't get your hopes up.
  2. I asked for my router login credentials and they gave me the VoIP information (probably by mistake). I explained that I needed the PPPoE login credentials to use my own router and that time I got the correct ones.

nice one on getting this to work

do you have FTTP and is this from Cityfiber?  this is what im about to get so im hoping to replace the vf router wiht a mesh like your decos.

do you know of any higher spec mesh routers that are known to work?

jawwad

Ok so I have the PPPoE username and password.

Can I just unplug my Vodafone router and plug in my Deco to the ethernet cable then change my settings in the Deco app to PPPoE? Or will I need to factory reset my system and start from scratch?

WelshPaul

No need to reset anything, just change the required settings.

Awesome. 

Just to clarify, the only settings I need to change in my Deco app is the IPv4 Internet connection type? Change from Dynamic IP to PPPoE then enter the Username and Password provided by Vodafone. Then mirror that for the IPv6 settings.

Are there any other settings I need to change?

Thank you so much for your help.

WelshPaul

Vodafone don't provide IPv6 so disable that. Configure IPv4 for use with PPoE and enter your username and password, job done.