Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Ubiquiti USG-3P cannot get full download speed on Vodafone Ultrafast Pro 500

jura17
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi there,

BT Openreach have installed our fibre socket on Friday and it works brilliantly with Vodafone's own router. We got download speeds of around 450Mbps and upload speeds of around 70Mbps.

We had originally planned to use the Vodafone router in modem mode and use our existing Ubiquiti network setup. However, there doesn't seem to be a modem mode despite Vodafone confirming this on Twitter.

There would be an even neater solution though and that is bypassing the Vodafone router altogether and using our Ubiquiti USG-3P as a modem. Vodafone kindly supplied us with the necessary login details and we managed to set up the Ubiquiti modem. However, whilst we can achieve the full upload speed of around 70Mbps, the download speed doesn't go above 107Mbps.

They also said the following via web chat:

Some steps that may be of use for you are:

• When swapping your router. Keep your Vodafone router just in case you ever get an issue, and need any tech support. We can only diagnose faults through our own router
  • In your router's web interface, access the WAN settings. Set enable 802.1Q and set Vlan tag to 101
  • Set connection type to PPPoE, enter the username and password, leave all other settings as default
  • Please allow up to five to ten minutes to get a connection to the internet
  • If the connection drops after ten minutes. You'd just need to refresh the internal register by doing a hard reset on your router. Power it down by removing the power cord for 30 seconds and power it back on. You'll then be back online.

The Vlan tag seemed to be incorrect. It should apparently be 901 rather than 101. However, it only works when the Vlan tag is turned off. So maybe this should be something else altogether?

Furthermore, there is no setting for 802.1Q on Ubiquiti (correct me if I'm wrong, please!).

Thanks for your help in advance - I'm looking forward to getting our full 500Mbps!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Okay, finally came around to posting this.

1) You'll obviously need the correct login details from Vodafone

2) Leave all the standard settings on UBIQUITI apart from the following on the network controller 7.0.23:

• Under IPv4 connection, select PPPoE username (from Vodafone) and the password (from Vodafone)
  • Leave the VLAN ID disabled (counter to what Vodafone tells you)
  • It can take up to 10 Minutes to establish a connection and get a public IP address.
  • For the full speed: Under firewall & security, turn off the threat management.

Hope it works!

View solution in original position

4 REPLIES 4

Jayach
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

I'm no expert, but here is what I have gleaned whilst on this forum: (I will apologise in advance, just in case I have misunderstood something)

The THG3000 has no modem mode, but that doesn't matter to you as FTTP doesn't use a modem, that functionality is handled by the ONT. (sometimes called the Fibre Modem)

I believe the ONT also does the VLAN so no need for a VLAN setting, (as you have found) I think that that therefore negates the need for 802.1Q.

So your Ubiquiti will be running purely as a router, so I can't see why it would be reducing the download speed.

Hopefully these facts are correct (I'm sure someone will tell us if they are not). All you really need to do is set the PPPoE credentials in the Ubiquiti and it should work

Perhaps someone who is actually using a Ubiquiti on Openreach FTTP can come along and give better guidance.

Hi Jayack,

Thanks for your reply! We now got it working without using the Vodafone router, just the Ubiquity and get fantastic speeds - it's pure joy (after a lot of pain). Will post our settings shortly to spare others from the same ordeal. 12946226314.png

Hi

i am having the exact same problem. Could you share your settings that you used to get the full speeds please

Thanks

Okay, finally came around to posting this.

1) You'll obviously need the correct login details from Vodafone

2) Leave all the standard settings on UBIQUITI apart from the following on the network controller 7.0.23:

• Under IPv4 connection, select PPPoE username (from Vodafone) and the password (from Vodafone)
  • Leave the VLAN ID disabled (counter to what Vodafone tells you)
  • It can take up to 10 Minutes to establish a connection and get a public IP address.
  • For the full speed: Under firewall & security, turn off the threat management.

Hope it works!