Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Router CPU usage high

Troodos
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I keep getting jitter and freezes in my internet connection making game play difficult. My speed is just over 50mbps up and 17mbps down.  Using the test connection on my BT faceplate and instead using an inline phone/ADSL filter my speed drops to 40mbps, however the connection seems more stable with less jitter and drop outs.

Looking at my router I noticed it is showing a CPU usage of 98% , and this doesn't change, after resetting, is this normal for the router, wondering what is causing this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Update:

I had BT Openreach visit me and they messed around in the BT Green Box down the street and also checked connections in the main socket - whatever they did has cured my problem.

The speed of my connection has increased to a reliable 54.7 Mbps download and 20Mbps upload and the weird thing is CPU usage in the Router has gone down to between 10% to 30%- My router wasn't touched.

I could perhaps understand if my router was showing a lot of packet errors, but it wasn't. I can only assume that the link was previously causing the router to work hard to maintain the connection, maybe within the protocol used there is some CPU intensive task for error correction - I have no idea - but anyway - for those having problems with a slower connection than normal that is also unreliable and showing high CPU usage, get your line checked!

View solution in original position

3 REPLIES 3

Anonymous
Not applicable

98% usage on a router CPU is not normal!  If you've any USB devices plugged into the router unplug them, and check that you've no physical cables that loopback (ie the cable could be reached by more than one route from the router).  If neither of those is the case then have a look at the router logs to see if there is anything unusual you can spot!

*On my VOX2.5 HHG2500, that kind of CPU usage was enough to melt the glue on the stickers over the unused ports.  My Asus RT-AC86U averages just 4% CPU usage!

Yes 98% is just crazy, but I have nothing plugged in to the USB, I have one Ethernet going off to a mains hub that distributes the network to a few rooms, and another Ethernet connected to a Philips Hue Hub.

My router doesn't feel particularly hot either, though it is quite sluggish when I login to it, however, sluggishness seems typical on all routers I have ever owned .

If I disconnect all Ethernet and Wifi, it makes no change - so I assume either there is a bug in the software reporting the 98% or something on the Modem side connecting to the VDSL link is causing the issue.

I am wondering if this is perhaps normal on  the Vodafone Router, or perhaps my one has a fault that may explain my unreliable connection. Wondering if other users of this router have a similarly high CPU usage?

Update:

I had BT Openreach visit me and they messed around in the BT Green Box down the street and also checked connections in the main socket - whatever they did has cured my problem.

The speed of my connection has increased to a reliable 54.7 Mbps download and 20Mbps upload and the weird thing is CPU usage in the Router has gone down to between 10% to 30%- My router wasn't touched.

I could perhaps understand if my router was showing a lot of packet errors, but it wasn't. I can only assume that the link was previously causing the router to work hard to maintain the connection, maybe within the protocol used there is some CPU intensive task for error correction - I have no idea - but anyway - for those having problems with a slower connection than normal that is also unreliable and showing high CPU usage, get your line checked!