Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Windows Remote Desktop issues

guest_user
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

When I'm not making group video calls and/or screen sharing (using Microsoft Teams), I rarely have any connection issues, and using Microsoft Remote Desktop to connect to my work PC is relatively stable.

However, under heavy load (group video calls, screen sharing and using remote desktop) I tend to lose my internet connection at regular intervals, sometimes every 5 minutes. Usually the group video call and screen sharing stay active, but my remote desktop session drops and I can't browse to any websites, as if all other internet access has been cut off. Sometimes it recovers, but often the easiest thing to do is turn the WiFi on my machine off and on again.

I'm using a late-2013 MacBook Pro, and face the same issue if I boot into Windows (with Bootcamp).

I'm in the same room as the Vodafone router, but it would be inconvenient to use the ethernet connection, so I just connect over WiFi.

Another person in the house also uses the WiFi in the same room, and is usually in Zoom group video calls, without having ever faced a problem. They are closer to the router and use a more modern MacBook Pro, if that matters. The problem persists even if they are not using the internet, so I don't think their use of the WiFi is a factor.

Running a speed test right now, I get 74.09Mbps down and 17.45Mbps up, and that's with an active remote desktop session, so I feel like bandwidth shouldn't be an issue. I can't remember the last time I ran a speed test and the figures returned weren't around that.

My gut feeling is that it's either an issue with the WiFi card or an issue with the router, but I'm not sure if there's anything I can do to improve things. I remember there was a 'boost' feature in the Vodafone app to prioritise the speed of a connected device - could this be done permanently for my machine?

Will the router (or something further down the line) throttle my connection if I'm asking too much of it?

Any suggestions welcome, thanks for your assistance!

2 REPLIES 2

clint_flick
12: Established
12: Established

Hi

Wi-Fi
802.11ac Wi‑Fi wireless networking;3 IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n compatible

Personally I would ensure that the Wi-Fi is connected to, or capable of choosing, both 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz Vodafone, but the card throughput is not the issue IMHO.

802 11 N : 100+ Mbps standard improvements over 802.11g (2009)

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd probably be looking at the RDP connection - it can be a real hog.  It might be worthwhile looking at using VNC as there are variants that use far less bandwidth and play better with other demanding apps.

*Nothing against RDP, it's that good that you can forget you are using a remote machine...