cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Would you recommend Vodafone if you're actually in Scotland?

gammuinn
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I know there is alot of people talking about being put on the Edinburgh gateways and to avoid Vodafone for that reason but if you actaully live in Edinburgh... is Vodafone actually good then? Talking about FTTP (Openreach).

Thanks for any opinions.

4 REPLIES 4

Cynric
16: Advanced member

@gammuinn  There has already been a lot of discussion here about which gateway and OR vs. CF as the wholesale provider. The simple answer seems to be that for many customers they do not notice and are not interested about which gateway they are routed via. The gateway selection is an automated traffic routing and balancing mechanism that will not be altered until there is increased capacity. The capacity issue is a mixture of the national network infrastructure and the amount of bandwidth that Vodafone has purchased. So you could get your nearest gateway or you could get the other end of the UK. The question is whether that would really impact on what you use the internet for.

aidej
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I'm in Glasgow South and have been on the City Fibre Vodafone 900 FTTP product since April 2023 and as yet, I have not been routed through Edinburgh, rather Manchester (once in a blue moon) and most typically via London. I obtained a static IP in July to see if that would help and maybe push me on to the nearest Gateway in Edinburgh, but alas its not to be.

Generally my pings are around 18-35ms and download speeds are usually fast and the connection is reliable. The Pro II router is actually not bad (looks good too!) and using the Wi-Fi extender upstairs, I get 1gb via the extender ethernet ports and good Wi-Fi  speeds upstairs (the extender connects to the main router at Wi-Fi 6e speeds, so it has good backhaul) where previously I had to run an Ethernet cable upstairs, so its good from that perspective and futureproof (for now) with Wi-Fi 6e..just waiting to get my first 6e compatible device in a few weeks ...the new iPhone 15 Pro! 

Jayach

@aidej wrote:
I'm in Glasgow South and have been on the City Fibre Vodafone 900 FTTP product since April 2023 and as yet, I have not been routed through Edinburgh, rather Manchester (once in a blue moon) and most typically via London. I obtained a static IP in July to see if that would help and maybe push me on to the nearest Gateway in Edinburgh,

I'm in SE Essex,. I'm now routed via London (Surry Quays to be precise) but why they would route you through London, make no sense.

Glad to hear the Ultra router and it's extenders work well. At least they may be doing something right.

Ripshod

"why they would route you through London, make no sense."

We are talking about Vodafone. 🙄