Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Xbox Series X wired connection issue

JosephA12
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi, hoping someone could help.

Since switching to Vodaphone I have been experiencing issues with my Xbox connecting to the the network via a wired connection. What I find is sometimes if I restart the Xbox enough, it pics up the wired connection.

What I have tried (on the Xbox):

Reset MAC - same issue

NAT Type set to open which is correct

Did a factory reset of the Xbox - same issueHowever when I connected the Xbox to the Wi-Fi - works fine

What I tried on the router;

Power cycle - same issue

Manually added DNS (8.8.8.8) - same issue

Changed Ethernet cable - same issue

Other devices connected via a Ethernet cable work fine.

At the point I don’t believe this is a Xbox issue but an issue with the router or broadband. Is there something that maybe stopping/making the wired connection intermittent as I’m not sure what else to do.

As I said I had no issues when on Virgin using a wired Ethernet connection.

428 REPLIES 428

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@Dougiemck 

The current firmware apparently is 19.4.0551-3261103, we are expecting it to go to 19.4.0551-3269046,

19.2.0203-3261005 appears to be a much earlier firmware. (maybe that was before they "broke" it)

@Dougiemck wrote:

my ip has changes from a Vodafone broadband to  a Vodafone wholesale.

How are you identifying this?

@Jayach wrote:

@Dougiemck 

The current firmware apparently is 19.4.0551-3261103, we are expecting it to go to 19.4.0551-3269046,

19.2.0203-3261005 appears to be a much earlier firmware. (maybe that was before they "broke" it)

@Dougiemck wrote:

my ip has changes from a Vodafone broadband to  a Vodafone wholesale.

How are you identifying this?

by mistakenly taking what the thinkbroadbandspeed tests reports , but it  appears  it can be changed manually  so not sure how accurate this is other than  that is what it is showing  from speed tests i have run.

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi, thanks again for everyone’s patience.

I understand that some of you have already seen on external forums, that turning ‘Energy-saving power mode’ off has resolved this issue for many users.

For anyone that would like to do this, please follow the below:

• Press the Xbox button  to open the guide
  • Select Profile & system > Settings > General > Power mode & start-up
  • Select from the Power mode drop-down menu to change the setting

Our Support teams have gone through more tests and they've found that it’s happening across different internet service providers. We’ll now be looking into the issue on an individual account basis. For anyone who’s previously contacted us through Social Media, this is where we can provide you with updates on the incident ticket.

If you’ve raised this to the WiFi Xperts, then any updates to tickets raised through them can be provided there.

ZinGeRs
12: Established
12: Established

Turning energy saving mode off does not solve the issue it just makes the event less likely.

As to happening on other platforms considering every single person on this thread has not had a single problem with previous providers prior to Vodafone I again find this absolutely ridiculous.

Why not just be honest and tell folk because it is such a small amount of customers that basically it won't be fixed unless completely by accident in a subsequent firmware update. Especially considering between us all and utter frustrations we came up with the switch solution which involved those that didn't have one spending money to sort it!!

Looks like the advice I was given was true tbh about vodafone being great when it works but God help you if you ever have a problem 

Thought I had already replied here but  must have messed up,  today Vodafone sent an Openreach engineer  out  , to check on a  line that was installed  6 days ago, unsurprisingly  he found  no issue on  the line, but I did get a message saying my  issue is resolved !

Not 100% sure it has been as an old firmware that is throwing out all sorts of  errors some of which  can be ignored  but are issues that these  forums  say have been an issue for  at least 2 years at this stage, going by googling then and  finding results on here  and were also  there on the newer firmware as well.

Going to ignore the potential of a further issue with the xbox   at the moment as the speeds I have been getting  < 400mbps are of a larger concern and I have  started  off  that process, even though  current support has been less than helpful.

No doubt will be purchasing  my own router, as people  are at least saying they have more success with their own and  I have no confidence in the supplied  THG3000

Jayach

@Dougiemck 

I don't think your problems are anything to do with what this thread is about. If you start your own thread we may be able to offer advice. (to avoid taking this one off topic)

Jayach

For anyone coming to this thread late, a precis:

Forum: When using the Vodafone router, the Xbox doesn't reconnect from energy save mode.

Vodafone: Don't use energy save mode.

@Gemma 

i find this very difficult to understand, turning off energy saving has not resolved the issue for the vast majority of folks and also the issue being on other providers simply isn’t true. 

I was using BT for the past year and never had a single issue. So apparently an issue has developed with them ?

I asked this on Reddit and only Vodafone was mentioned as having an issue. 

please be honest with us. Thanks

I have been with sky before Vodafone for years and never had any xbox issues.

Changed my router on friday from the Vodafone one to An Asus one and now don't have issues. 

Also in a time where energy prices are sky rocketing having the Xbox set in a low power state isn't a viable fix as yes it might only be pennies but pennies add up

@Dougiemck  a new router may help I was getting low upload speeds my download was fine I changed router and I'm at 900/900 like I should be