Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Xbox Series X wired connection issue

JosephA12
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi, hoping someone could help.

Since switching to Vodaphone I have been experiencing issues with my Xbox connecting to the the network via a wired connection. What I find is sometimes if I restart the Xbox enough, it pics up the wired connection.

What I have tried (on the Xbox):

Reset MAC - same issue

NAT Type set to open which is correct

Did a factory reset of the Xbox - same issueHowever when I connected the Xbox to the Wi-Fi - works fine

What I tried on the router;

Power cycle - same issue

Manually added DNS (8.8.8.8) - same issue

Changed Ethernet cable - same issue

Other devices connected via a Ethernet cable work fine.

At the point I don’t believe this is a Xbox issue but an issue with the router or broadband. Is there something that maybe stopping/making the wired connection intermittent as I’m not sure what else to do.

As I said I had no issues when on Virgin using a wired Ethernet connection.

428 REPLIES 428

You will be fine the choice is yours now having the switch eco mode or instant on both will work now you have the switch.

Definitely Eco mode, or even full shutdown each time, with the current energy crisis. Part of the reason I made the switch to Vodafone was to save money as our Virgin Media was getting too expensive. 

Me too and the speeds initially 

Same here, I'm unable to update the firmware. I called up and they said they triggered it manually, but they couldn't tell me which version they were updating to. They just kept saying "the latest one".

After all of that, the version on my router never changed.

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@Masters @BumbleBeeG1 

The latest firmware does appear to be 19.4.0551-3261103 (although a recent post said they had 19.4.0551-3261104)

The firmware update option never works, if you have a lower one a factory reset will sometimes trigger the update, otherwise you just have to wait.

Why Vodafone can't be more forthcoming about this information I don't understand.

Just to confirm what you already know. The switch arrived and it worked perfectly first time and has done since.

I initially got a scare when the wired speed wouldn't go above 100mb (I'm on gigafast pro), but then worked out that this is because the cable, which is built into my wall after past renovations must only be a cat5 cable (I think I bought it in 2005!). Oh dear! 

Now to work out how best to get my new cat6a cable to the room above...

Thanks again for the help everyone. 🙏 

If you've already got cable in the wall, a good electrician (with network cable experience) can usually use that to pull better cable though.  Even so, you will probably need to budget for 60-90 minutes, and such electricians don't come cheap.

*It may be possible for a competent DIYer to manage this, it's just should things go wrong...

Thanks. I actually tried that myself by taping the two cables together with duct tape, by there's a point where it gets stuck due to the builder putting a stud/joist where one wasn't there before so the cable moves ok by the connector will not pass.

Nevermind, I can do a semi-bodge job and sort it myself. 

Jayach

Have you tried with the new cable to make sure you get the full 1Gbs? I really didn't think it could drop it's speed because of the cable. I would expect to simply not work. Were you getting 1Gbs over that cable previously, or was the previous router only 100Mbs?

Cynric

Have I got it wrong, but don't the both devices at each end of a cable negotiate? If so, then wouldn't the 1Gb fall-back to the highest it could attain allowing for packet retries when communicating over either a lower specification or damaged cable?