Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Xbox Series X wired connection issue

JosephA12
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi, hoping someone could help.

Since switching to Vodaphone I have been experiencing issues with my Xbox connecting to the the network via a wired connection. What I find is sometimes if I restart the Xbox enough, it pics up the wired connection.

What I have tried (on the Xbox):

Reset MAC - same issue

NAT Type set to open which is correct

Did a factory reset of the Xbox - same issueHowever when I connected the Xbox to the Wi-Fi - works fine

What I tried on the router;

Power cycle - same issue

Manually added DNS (8.8.8.8) - same issue

Changed Ethernet cable - same issue

Other devices connected via a Ethernet cable work fine.

At the point I don’t believe this is a Xbox issue but an issue with the router or broadband. Is there something that maybe stopping/making the wired connection intermittent as I’m not sure what else to do.

As I said I had no issues when on Virgin using a wired Ethernet connection.

428 REPLIES 428

Jayach
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

I wish you luck with the ombudsman, but I wouldn't hold out too much hope. They may not even take it on, until you have reached deadlock with Vodafone.

If it really is that much inconvenience to you, you do realise a cheap switch is a work around for it. Details are in this very thread.

Whilst I agree the support is terrible, (I'd say abysmal) the Wi-Fi is not bad for an ISP router and the ethernet does work (well, except for Xbox's, coming back out of energy saving).

I wonder why other consoles don't have the same problem?

I also had the same problems with the connection dropping whether the Xbox was on instant on or standby... It was driving me crazy. I tried resetting the router, trying a firmware update (which like others have said I don't think works) and setting up a static IP. None of these helped at all.

Ended up taking the hit and buying a TP Link switch from Argos for £15 and the problems have gone. I will be surprised if Vodafone ever fixes this. Really strange that a switch fixes the problem.

Same here. Ended up buying the £15 tplink and it's been fine since.

No still not working, just bought the tp link LS10005G as previous customers have bought and it worked straight away. So disgusted with vodaphone help team they have no idea how to help people with this problem. Luck enough the tp linke is only £8 but still not the point.

Yes - we shouldn't have to go out our way to fix an issue that lies with Vodafone. It actually worked out in my favour getting a switch as the PS5 and TV can now be connected through ethernet as well.

I assume there was no further information regarding the firmware update that was meant to roll out a while back?

No update from Vodafone, and last time I was in chat they did the usual... firmware update... ip change... blamed xbox... passed me around for 3 hours. Told them I wanted to leave they told me I have to pay £120, or upgrade to get their new router, or just use wifi. Asked them to raise a complaint they said no because they've given me options.

Lucky the switch method works. Defo not renewing!

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm sorry to hear you're still experiencubng problems connecting your consoles @Masters@tyetime &   @James35760. We're aware some customers have been able to resolve this issue by disabling the Energy-saving power mode. You can do this by following the below steps:

- Press the Xbox button  to open the guide

- Select Profile & system > Settings > General > Power mode & start-up

- Select from the Power mode drop-down menu to change the setting

We know this hasn't helped all our customers and after running further tests we found this issue is affecting users across different internet service providers. We’re still looking into the issue on an individual account basis, if you've previously raised a ticket regarding this issue our Social team will be able to provide updates on these. If not you can reach out to them and they'll be happy to help and raise a ticket on your behalf. 

No switching to power on or instant on only makes it work a lot more but still doesn’t fix the problem. Come on you must know how to fix it if we need to use a switch????

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

@James35760 - thanks for testing and confirming this. Please reach out to us through Social Media and we'll look to help further and raise this for you. 

This is exactly what I have experienced.

I joined Vodafone 2 months ago and have been complaining ever since. They exchanged the router for the same model (which of course did nothing), and when I ask for the newer router which has been out about 1 month, I’m told I will need to “upgrade”!

Vodafone are refusing to admit there’s a problem, they are refusing to exchange my router for the newer version (which won’t have these issues), and more importantly they won’t even let me raise a complaint! The “expert” I just had on the phone spoke over me, spoke down on me with a raised voice, and then said he was ending the call!

Vodafone are by far the worst company I have ever joined.