Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Xbox Series X wired connection issue

JosephA12
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi, hoping someone could help.

Since switching to Vodaphone I have been experiencing issues with my Xbox connecting to the the network via a wired connection. What I find is sometimes if I restart the Xbox enough, it pics up the wired connection.

What I have tried (on the Xbox):

Reset MAC - same issue

NAT Type set to open which is correct

Did a factory reset of the Xbox - same issueHowever when I connected the Xbox to the Wi-Fi - works fine

What I tried on the router;

Power cycle - same issue

Manually added DNS (8.8.8.8) - same issue

Changed Ethernet cable - same issue

Other devices connected via a Ethernet cable work fine.

At the point I don’t believe this is a Xbox issue but an issue with the router or broadband. Is there something that maybe stopping/making the wired connection intermittent as I’m not sure what else to do.

As I said I had no issues when on Virgin using a wired Ethernet connection.

428 REPLIES 428

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@tyetime wrote:

I'm not sure if it was a coincidence or not, but when downloading games I get a faster speed using Cloudflare. Almost like Vodafone was capping my download speed at 250-270mbps when I was getting 420-470 on Cloudflare.

The DNS should have no effect on download speeds. It just affects the speed of URL look ups, so can make browsing faster but not downloads.

Cynric

There could possibly be a difference because Cloudflare is an edge (not the stupid browser) device and (a) caches a load of stuff, and (b) may act like a torrent client depending on the upstream source. Of course, there's always the thought that VF's load-balancer rules may be detremental to files over a certain size or from a particular source.

Jayach

@Cynric wrote:

There could possibly be a difference because Cloudflare is an edge (not the stupid browser) device and (a) caches a load of stuff, and (b) may act like a torrent client depending on the upstream source. 

But we were only talking about using Cloudflare's DNS instead of Vodafone's. It really shouldn't have any affect on download speeds.. Once the download has started it shouldn't need to refer to DNS at all.

Cynric

True enough. I still haven't stopped thinking in terms of when I was at work and networking a lot different. 😀

Would be funny if VF and CF DNS gave different IP numbers for the same query.

Having same issue upgraded from FTTC to FTTP now my xbox wont connect using a cable have had to revert back to WiFi which sux as nowhere near as fast.

Will try a switch but may just try using the TP Link AC1900 router which i was using before i plugged in the new Voda Router was hoping the Voda router would be better it has an extra port which i would have found useful.

Same here, once I got the switch for £8.99 off Amazon, now the Xbox is connected when it starts, no more issues. But the VF router seems to be rubbish, even on a cable I only see downloads no higher than 350mbps on a 900 line. It's garbage. I have a TP-Link router coming, hopefully that sorts it out, if not I'm cancelling VF and going elsewhere.

Cynric

@RobDon I'll confess to ignorance on how trading standards work concerning ISP provided hardware, but given that you and others on this forum have had the same issue with Xbox I am wondering if it is possible to claim that the router is simply not fit for purpose.

CrimsonLiar

The problem with MS and the XBox is they have a history of issues irrespective of the ISP and router.  It's one of the reasons for the recent update that allows XBox users to fully turn the thing off rather than let it "deep sleep".

*It's a shame I don't have a THG3000 to play with, because most of the IOT devices I have now "deep sleep".

I had no issues at all with the Sky/Openreach line and router, Xbox was always connected via cable and on a 500mbps line I was getting up to 450mbps downloads.

Only reason I switched was because Sky were putting the 500 line up to £45 a month and Vodaphone contacted me and said I could have a 900 line for £27 a month.

Jayach

@CrimsonLiar wrote:

*It's a shame I don't have a THG3000 to play with, because most of the IOT devices I have now "deep sleep".

I'm sure they would work fine. It really does seem to only be the Xbox that has this problem, and if you google it, it's not only with the THG3000.