Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Xbox Series X wired connection issue

JosephA12
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi, hoping someone could help.

Since switching to Vodaphone I have been experiencing issues with my Xbox connecting to the the network via a wired connection. What I find is sometimes if I restart the Xbox enough, it pics up the wired connection.

What I have tried (on the Xbox):

Reset MAC - same issue

NAT Type set to open which is correct

Did a factory reset of the Xbox - same issueHowever when I connected the Xbox to the Wi-Fi - works fine

What I tried on the router;

Power cycle - same issue

Manually added DNS (8.8.8.8) - same issue

Changed Ethernet cable - same issue

Other devices connected via a Ethernet cable work fine.

At the point I don’t believe this is a Xbox issue but an issue with the router or broadband. Is there something that maybe stopping/making the wired connection intermittent as I’m not sure what else to do.

As I said I had no issues when on Virgin using a wired Ethernet connection.

428 REPLIES 428

Jayach
16: Advanced member

I'm sure the switch will cure the Xbox problem, the nvidia, I'm not so sure.

Cynric

.@Jayach That TP-Link switch mentioned above, do you have one? If so, does the single LED on each port change colour for the connection speed?

Jayach

I don't have one (nor an Xbox) but the specs describe it as Link/Act so I suspect it will just flash green with activity.

Jayach

@Cynric wrote:

Also, in the quick install guide all the illustations have port 1 on the switch going to the router, is that what you have done. I know with some older models from another manufacturer there was a specific uplink port.

The ports are auto sensing so you can use any port for any function.

Cynric

I assumed the auto-select would be the default. I am used to switches that have 2 or 3 LEDs per port.

Yes the switch is just plug and play, I've had mine for a few months now with no issues.

I bought the TP-Link LS1005G switch. How do I use it?

Presumably I plug it in so it has power - do I then just plug one ethernet cable form the Xbox into any of the 5 ports in it then another cable into any of the other 4 and plug that into the Vodafone router?

Jayach

Yes

Brilliant. Just installed it and it works an absolute treat. Cheers.

TONYHENDERSON
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I had the same issues. On looking online this is a common problem that Vodafone just try fobbing you off with. Your Xbox (2 in my case) must be faulty. Or the ports on the router are faulty, we will send you a new one (I'm on my second). Or your ethernet cables must be faulty, all of which worked fine up until switching to Vodafone. I'm 100% convinced it's to do with settings in the router or the firmware (that's another story as you have to ask Vodafone to update as the function in the router to do it yourself fails). Anyway, I got talking to an ex work colleague who had the same issues (previously).

He advised to split the direct ethernet connection from router to console with an adapter. He said try putting an ethernet cable to the adaptor and then an ethernet cable from the adaptor to the console. I've tried doing this. 2 Xboxes (a one and X) and a laptop. Everything is working fine and I have notice no drop in speeds. All also work at the Same time. I've used this adapter https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8495459?clickSR=slp:term:ethernet%20adapter:5:404:2. I can't believe cutting the direct connection has solved the problem. Vodafone, take note as you have a lot of disgruntled customer with this issue. The customer shouldn't have to buy additional equipment to make yours work properly, you should provide an adapter or sort the fault.