cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

do you need a telephone line for fibre router to work (the 500 one)

Stevio
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hello do you need a telephone line for the fibre router to work?

thanks

6 REPLIES 6

Ripshod
16: Advanced member

Superfast 1 & 2 were originally supplied over the copper pair, but increasingly now are provided over fttp as are all the faster packages. Indeed when fttp is installed the copper should be removed by the engineer (openreach), or removal is arranged by Cityfibre as it's no longer required - more often that is just ignored recently. 

In all cases for fttp the copper (line) is no longer required, including the 500Mb service. 

Hope this helps. 

Thanks! So if I took out the 500 fibre deal ( I think it's around £30 pm )

This price would not include phone line rental. So I take it that it will be disconected?

Thanks Steve

Ripshod

It'll be disconnected anyway as digital voice (voip) would be provided by the router if you order a phone service.

CrimsonLiar

VOIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) is included in that package, which would give you a "landline" number, onto which you can bolt on various call packages if you need.  It would be common, though it's best to check, that your copper phone connection would be disconnected, and it may not in the future be possible to reconnect.  Your VOIP connection is provided using the phone (out) connectors on the read of the modem, or may at some future point be a separate device.  Getting the settings so you can use your own VOIP adapter from Vodafone is apparently possible though difficult!

Thanks everyone!
I'm not bothered about having a phone line. I take it that if I go for the 500 fibre package It will be the fibre line which BT OPenreach recently installed to my house that is connected not any copper line.

Steve

Jayach

@Stevio wrote:

Thanks everyone!
I'm not bothered about having a phone line. I take it that if I go for the 500 fibre package It will be the fibre line which BT OPenreach recently installed to my house that is connected not any copper line.

Steve

Yes, unless you have CityFibre in your area as well, as Vodafone seem to use those over Openreach where both are available.