cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Are Vodafone Throttling download speeds?

csukar
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

So up until the past few weeks I have had around 70-80 mbps, now when I run a speed test I get around 1-5mbps and when actually downloading a file I get around 1mbps.
However when I stream video my internet speed will go back to normal, this makes me think that download speeds are being throttled.
Is this happening to anyone else?

29 REPLIES 29

HenryKissinger
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I believe they are, especially now with the pandemic, but I've been told via their support that they are not.

My download speed drops from 35 to 3 Mbps during peak times.

DaneB
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Good morning @csukar & @HenryKissinger, I can assure you both that we don't throttle speeds but with what's going on at the moment the OpenReach infrastructure won't have ever seen traffic and usage like this before. That said, we're adding more and more capacity each day to help cope with the demand and expectation.

Are we sure here? The past few days we've been getting under 4mbps in the evenings yet, as if by magic, at midnight it goes back up to 60-70mbps. There must be some sort of traffic monitoring going in here for there to be swings of this size all of a sudden...

I don't mind traffic management policies, especially during this time, but to downgrade to under 4mbps is basically the same as turning it off. At least set it to a reasonable limit like 10-15mbps.

We're sure @0weavern 

During peak times, are you mainly using WiFi devices? Also, do you have the Vodafone Broadband App downloaded? This will tell you what the sync speed is 🙂

It doesn't matter between WiFi or Ethernet.  The sync speed remains the same, just below 70Mbps , it's just the throughput speed which drops dramatically. Measuring it throughout the day see's throughput speed dramatically decrease ~7pm and then dramatically increase around 11:30pm. 

Support have raised an Openreach engineer visit (reference: 882220) but I don't see how this can help if it's a throughput issue...

Beth
Community Manager
Community Manager

@0weavern Just to advise, your sync speed is the connection between the green box outside and your router, this is the speed you were quoted and agreed to when you took out your services.

We're unable to guarantee a Wi-Fi connection speed as there are many things that can affect that, for example, if the router is facing a mirror or fish tank, the materials the walls in your home are made of, the thickness of the walls, the amount of devices you're trying to connect to the router at the same time etc.

If an engineer visit has been organised, that leads me to believe an error has been found on your line that needs to be investigated by an engineer and can also be resolved by one. 

Please let us know how you get on

sophos9
10: Established
10: Established

Thats misleading and incorrect information. Vodafone CLEARLY states average download speed NOT sync speed in its product sales. IF it is the case that Vodafone sells on download speed then once a consumer has bought the product, changes its mind to using sync speed its a clear case for the ASA and OFCOM

Capture.JPG

So after two engineer visits, they've managed to get the sync speed close to the minimum guarantee (2mbps below) bit we still get the throughput speed dripping to between 1-5mbps in the evenings. Hats off to the engineer through, he spent a good 3 hours trying to get it up to the minimum.

Whilst I get the sync speed is the only thing guaranteed here - there is also something on usability. If Vodafone don't invest in the infrastructure to cope with the peaked demand in the evenings, to the point where you can barely stream a SD YouTube video, then something is wrong... Waiting on the 2nd line team to get back to me now to escalate to 3rd line support.

Have you got an update on this? I'm having the same issue. Its obviously common. I cant use my Internet after 7 its that slow. This is with a wired connection. Sync speed is misleading as it states im getting 33mbps!! Why would they offer a guarantee on something that is completely irrelevant to the service they're  supposedly offering??