cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Are Vodafone Throttling download speeds?

csukar
2: Seeker

So up until the past few weeks I have had around 70-80 mbps, now when I run a speed test I get around 1-5mbps and when actually downloading a file I get around 1mbps.
However when I stream video my internet speed will go back to normal, this makes me think that download speeds are being throttled.
Is this happening to anyone else?

29 REPLIES 29

Magically - the throughput speed seemed to recover and not reoccur. 

After purchasing my own router (with a 4G 2nd line as a backup) I managed to get the sync speed all the way back up to 79999kbp/s, the maximum possible. Goes to show that if ISPs invest in decent hardware then they can offer a more stable service!

I'd advise to keep on with the 2nd tier team and if they're not able to resolve, then they'll escalate to the 3rd tier support.

Hello,

If anyone is still having this issue, I would suggest getting a decent VPN. I'm having this exact issue. Been on with vodafone twice. Apparently there is no issue their end... when I run a speed test, its below 6mbps. I turn on the VPN, run a speed test again, and its magically back! 

Have a look at the location in the screenshots. Manchester is without the VPN on. London with.

Screenshot_20200907-091405_Speedtest.jpg

Screenshot_20200907-091422_Speedtest.jpg

I use nordvpn. Not sure if a free one will do the same job but worth a go! 

That's strange! Are you sure you're not just experiencing this issue on this device?

Vodafone say they don't throttle. I do a lot of big file transfers and have never been throttled.

100%! Tested over wifi on my mobile, wifi on playstation, wifi on work laptop, ethernet on my own laptop...

Now have a ticket raised with their support team. I'm a DBA so only very basic networking knowledge, but spoke to the network guys I work with and they're sure I'm right. Vpn results speak for themselves really. Change of IP address and suddenly my speeds are back to where they should be. 

Very strange indeed! Sounds like they did throttle you for some reason. They're definitely not meant to: https://www.vodafone.co.uk/cs/groups/public/documents/webcontent/pdf_broadband_and_talk.pdf

Glad you've managed to speak some sense to them and get this resolved.

Well, let's hope it does get resolved. Not holding out much hope to be honest! 

It looks exactly like the opposite. Download speed for my Gigacube is down by 80%, upload speed and ping and everything else is unchanged. 

Yes. 100%. When roaming. Max .5mb so you get a text on what’s app . But everything is unusable. They say there not. 100% they are. 4 days in Amsterdam sight seeing. All over a big city. 
then a week later. All over london. Not working. And no faults. Just Vodafone is big tim throttling. Had to use a Gomo mobile hotspot. €12.99 a month. It had full internet. It s an absolute joke. And there lieing. 

No you're not. The network is owned by Openreach and you are a vendor, I used to get circa 78 I now get 44 constantly. This despite seeing Vodafone being offered for my OWN number at a GUARANTEED minimum of 59??? You are unfortunately a CS rep and have no real power of ability to act. I have been refused EVERY request I have made by Vodafone despite the following 2 replies from my old supplier and Openreach themselves. Despite having Openreach themselves offering to help Vodafone CS states' you're withing you're contract minimum WE CAN DO NOTHING'. This despite the contract in question no one can see or access apparently. 12 years of at least 75Mbps and I now get 44 constantly????

Hello Mr Jeffrey,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

I have checked and you were on 'Fibre Plus' with us.  This was not capped, only the standard 'Fibre' package would be capped and that would be at 40mbps.

I have also included below the speeds available to your line when using SSE as a supplier with Vodafone as a wholesaler.

As you can see, anywhere between 55 & 74mbps would be classed as acceptable for your line.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you are happy to close off this query after the information provided.

Regards,

Martin

Hi Alan,

I tried to call today but sadly could not get through. I am very sorry to hear that you are not experiencing the speeds you have had in the past but we would not cap your service as we only provide the network the service travels along.
If there are any restrictions on your service this will need to be raised to your provider who will manage this with us on your behalf.

It may be that you need a broadband engineer to attend to check the parameters of your current service but this should be visible to your provider and they would need to arrange any engineer visit.

I am sorry but this is not something we would manage here and we will need to guide you back to your provider to have this investigated as it is their service and you are their customer.

We will work with your provider to get this matter resolved if they feel they need our assistance.

I do hope this is all resolved soon

David Checkland 

Customer Resolutions Team
Openreach

jb_uk

I've just had a rather frustrating chat with Vodafone customer support. My router (an Asus DSL-AC68U) is giving me the following stats:

Data Rate  59998 kbps  18996 kbps

Max Rate  91904 kbps  26484 kbps

The first column is downstream; the second column is upstream.

Max Rate fluctuates, probably reflecting relatively real-time line capabilities. The Data Rate is consistently pegged at 59998kbps - suspiciously close to 60Mbps on the nose - even following reboots.

Vodafone insist that they are not throttling this but it really seems as if it is being. That's a pretty massive 35% difference. Is it possibly that a) Vodafone *are* throttling; or b) Openreach are?