cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

FTTP 900 Line Slow Upload (and download)

bounderboy
4: Newbie

After having a FTTC line 80:20 for years with Vodafone and getting pretty much full speed i recentley had chance to switch to Full Fibre which i did and initially chose 100 package.  I was greedy and have moved to 900 package as Upload is important to me with uploading video for business..  

When on 100 package i was getting around 18/19 upload - same as FTTC..  But when I have upgrade to 900 package i am now getting only 12.  It is very strange..  Been through support and asking me to send pictures morning, noon and night and feel I am getting into fobbing off territory.  I am using there standard THG3000 hub.  I am testing using Ethernet..  

The download isn't great either at 300-400 but I am assuming both are linked somehow.  But it is Upload I am most upset with. 

I saw someone on another thread ask for Troute to bbc.com - so did that in case it helps...  Anyone have any ideas.. 

Thanks 

Tracing route to bbc.com [151.101.***.*1]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 2 ms 3 ms 2 ms vodafone.broadband [192.168.1.1]
2 9 ms 7 ms 7 ms host-212-158-250-39.dslgb.com [212.158.250.39]
3 * * 8 ms 63.130.172.35
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 10 ms 6 ms 13 ms 151.101.192.81

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jayach
16: Advanced member

Well I think you have proven that it's a configuration being sent to the THG3000 that is causing the loss of upload speed.

When you get the new router, I suspect it will probably work O.K. as I believe the config file is tied to the serial number of the router. (it seems to work that way on FTTC, may be different on FTTP)

It will be interesting to see the result of using a different THG3000.

View solution in original position

72 REPLIES 72

Yes perhaps you couldn’t see - but I should have 105mbps up but not had more that 19 which is equivalent to my dsl line - 

Ripshod

Generally the minimum guarateed speed is 50% of the headline speed so you should be getting better than 54Mb on the upload. That's in their own words. What worries me is they only test from the outside in, and even though they can run speedtests from your router they don't. If their tests show everything is okay that's it. Unless you've been gathering evidence and shown it to them (which you have) they could just call it a day.

On to 2nd Line support at the moment:

"I can totally understand that Robert, we always promise a guaranteed download speed to our customers depending on the distance of the premise from the cabinet."

"However the upload speed keeps fluctuating and there is no guranteed upload speed bench mark which we can use to compare the speed limit"

is Full Fibre affected by a cabinet ?  

Yep hitting brickwall now... "In that case I am afraid that is the maximum speed that we can provide as the minimum guaranted download speed is being acheived already"

Jayach

@bounderboy wrote:

is Full Fibre affected by a cabinet ?  

It doesn't have "cabinets", at least not in the same way as FTTC.

bounderboy

More words from them... this sounds like it might be worth a try - they can't delete my static ip apparently.. but they can do below..

However what I can do is we can follow zero touch activation process

Here I can delete the details of your router from our system and than you can do a hard reset so that the details gets built up again

This usually gets the configuration built of the system again and once the fire wall is update it gives enhanced service

Better speed and performance however I won't be able to promise any specific upload speed

Not sure what enhanced service is .. or means  or why I don;t have it already ... but worth a try 

Ripshod

There's no "enhanced" service. What they're essentially saying is they're going to re-provision your service - like I mentioned earlier. 

Yeah that is what i thought...  very weird speak 🙂 

bounderboy

Well you were right there is no enhanced service..  They reprovisioned and the interesting thing when reprovisioning it connects and drops a couple of times.  I have had this twice now when it connects the first time if i get a speedtest off in time i get the full 110mb's upload.  However as soon as provisioning stops and stabilises.  I am back to the old 18mbps.  

They keep saying there is nothing they can do and they don't guarantee upload.  But i keep pushing - apparently tomorrow they are going to remove my Static IP - they told me no point as it won't make a difference.  It is so frustrating as i know the line can take it..  

thumbnail_Screenshot 2023-10-09 181054.png

Then after provisioning 
thumbnail_Screenshot 2023-10-09 182251aaa.png

Jayach

When first connecting, the router is probably using default settings. Vodafone will then send it a configuration file (using, presumably, CWMP (TR-069)) and it is that. that appears to be forcing the upload speed down.

See if you can ask them to look at the configuration settings at their end, and ask if they possibly could recreate your file.

Unfortunately, I have no idea exactly what options they have, but it does seem likely it is just a miss-configuration at their end.