Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Random Speed Test Results

mcurrie111
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Recently got full fibre to the property on a 500mbps contract. Only once did the speedtest.net result in the high 400s. Never seems to get above 150-170ish on a good day. Even goes to 20-30 some days. Even with the wifi off and connected directly with ethernet, speed is never good.

Had an Openreach engineer come out, on his work iphone ran speedtest.net and the results were in the high 400s. I ran a speedtest.net on my Samsung and got 170.

We ran a few side by side tests and the iphone was mostly in the high 400s and only dropped below 200 maybe twice. My Samsung A13 was constantly around the 170 mark. Even tried the wife Samsung- S22 Ultra, same results, 170ish.

How? Why? Confused! Would spliting the channels make any difference?

3 REPLIES 3

Cynric
16: Advanced member

@mcurrie111  Because speed tests of the broadband speed to the router using WiFi are unreliable. Test with a wired device to get an accurate reading.

Did that, it was even worse.

Jayach

If the Openreach engineer was getting reasonable speeds on his iPhone (connected presumably to your router) then the line is correctly configured. It would seem impossible not to achieve the same speeds over Ethernet, unless there is something wrong with the device you are testing with.