Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Really slow download speeds.

hubiwoj
4: Newbie

Okay so my internet is very slow, i have been in touch with live chat support but they cant help....

so basically whenever i do a speed test it connects to vodafones own server and my internet speeds look like this https://gyazo.com/f23feb1d6eb31c7b36e8b4f32d58ad52 (im paying up to 76mb download mind)

but when i selected a server which is close to me (cardiff) i get these resluts https://gyazo.com/66c94c7b3b0f541ac2a2e2c3a70d9f0b (included the screenshots below aswell)

My internet speeds are really slow i cant watch a youtube video at 720p without lags. its pafetic. 

Can anyone help? Im guessing my server has been chaged or something like that.

28 REPLIES 28

Blair
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey @hubiwoj, are you connected by Wi-Fi or an Ethernet cable when you’re running these tests? Ideally we'd need you to test this over an Ethernet connection to get a true figure.

Also, it would be helpful to run the test over different times on the day for a comparison.

Blair

Yes these tests are run by Ethernet and I’ve run them by WiFi 2,4 and 5ghz it made no difference. I’ve run the test throughout the whole day like once every hour/2 hours. There was no difference. 

@hubiwoj That's really strange, we'd love to look in to this for you. So we can do so I've sent you a private message and one of the team will be back in contact as soon as we can. Joe

D_Howes
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Have you got anywhere with this?

I have been having exactly the same problems. My speed is about half what it should be when I test on the vodafone server. Yet when i test on almost any other server I get my full speed. It doesnt matter if its wired or wireless, the speed is about the same.

I've contacted VF a few times so far on the live chat about speed problems, and not really got anywhere. The last time I got in contact, they got me to change my DNS settings, which has made no difference.

If i want to stream a video on youtube on my phone for example, I now switch wifi off and use 4G signal as it plays the video without any problems. Where as if i try and play the same video on my wifi, it lags and buffers unless i chose the lowest quality possible.

The only response i get from vodafone is that my sync speed is 76mbps which is above the guaranteed speed. They test the line and never find anything wrong with it.

I know its not the vodafone server, as if i test it on 4G i get the same results on their server as i do on others. I tested it on my brothers virgin media BB today, and got over 100mbps on the vodafone server and a couple of others.

I never had this problem when i was with plusnet.

Sorry to highjack your post!

Hey D_Howes, it seems like we have the exact same issue. Unfortunetly i havent got anywhere with this, still waiting for the response from the private message. 

I hope this gets resorved as its really fustrating, If not i will move to another provider. 

Well, today i have contacted VF chat service again and as expected, they tried to blame everything on my end.

Apparently its my micro filter thats causing it to provide slow speeds on vodafones own server but not on other servers. Its also the same filter causing amazon and youtube to buffer. No wait its the wifi channels, they change when some get busy blah blah blah. Basically the guy was following a script and had no idea how to help.  He also couldnt provide an answer as to why other people were having exactly the same fault. Maybe we all have broken microfilters (that worked perfectly with previous providers!).

So a ticket has been raised with Tech2, who apparently have 72 hours to fix the problem, or i can cancel my service without any penalties. Something Im glad i have in writing with a copy emailed to myself!

I aslo had a technical team 2 contact me and bacically all they said was that there is no fault with the network, however they said that there is likely an issue indicating a fault within the house, which then i contacted FV live chat to get "a better understanding" and they told me about my micro filter that it could be damaged blah blah, Basically everything you wrote. (i changed the micro filter for a new one, new DSL cable and the problem stayed the same) They also said they can get a BT egenieer to come and have a look but there will be a £75 fee. 

I hope this gets resolved, im starting to look at other broadband providers, I cant watch a 720p video on youtube without bufferings... 

Update...

I had a call from Tech2 support today.

Typical response that everyone else seems to get on this forum. Their end shows there is no problems at all with my line. So its not that.

They then got me to take the wall socket faceplate off and connect to the test port with a microfilter, then ethernet to the router. Of course this worked fine and showed results of 60+.

However, I wasnt happy with this as they told me they dont use speedtest.net anymore as its not working properly lol. So made me use thinkbroadband website instead. When i tested via speedtest, and BT wholesale while they were on the phone it showed half the speed. So i questioned the whole thing. They said the 3rd line support have authorised thinkbroadband as the only test results tech2 can accept. I said im not surprised as they report back the highest speeds!

So basically, I got nowhere today. They told me that it was working fine, and then went on to tell me how to split my SSID frequency on the router. So today I have removed their  router/modem and plugged in my old openreach modem and my own router. Still get the same results on speedtest direct with thier server, but everything else seems to work fine.

But basically because they cant be bothered to work out whats wrong, they have told me its my wifi and nothing to do with them. They were adament it was wifi, even though i get the same results when connected via ethernet (a little fact they seemed to ignore). So i either pay through the nose to cancel my contract or have to just suck it up for the next 15months.

[MOD EDIT: This post has been edited to remove inappropriate content please see Community Guidelines]

I use my own router anyways, as i find the VF router being slow and buffers from time to time.

It seems they all follow a script of how to deal with people, i had the same things said to me: split the SSD frequency etc etc.

To me it seems like they have bought budget and crap broadband providers/servers and they have set them as the primary for our homes, 

I still havent got a response from the private message, i will keep you updated "if" they reply....