Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Landline had been removed

User110920
4: Newbie

It's come to my attention that Vodafone have decided to remove my landline and replace it with VOIP. Apparently, I just have to plug in my analogue phone to my router but the problem is I live in a four-story house. How am I supposed to connect all my phones to a single router? I'd like Vodafone to put back my analogue line. This behaviour is unacceptable. Now I have no phone line and was not told in advance. Thank you, Vodafone.

28 REPLIES 28

Ripshod
16: Advanced member

I'll be straight. It's sounding like the only acceptable solution for you would be to have your copper phone line reinstated.

That ain't gonna happen. 

Vodafone is refusing to reinstate the line. The cost of upgrading to a new alarm system to work over GSM is over 3K.

Jayach

It's probably not Vodafone refusing, they will be acting under Ofcom/Openreach rules.

If you did get it reinstated, it would only put the problem off for at most a couple of years, the PSTN will be switched of in 2025.

But Vodafone knew what they were doing and they should at least warn their customers. For some, it's not a big deal but for others it is.

Jayach

@User110920 wrote:

But Vodafone knew what they were doing and they should at least warn their customers. For some, it's not a big deal but for others it is.

I totally agree with that, I'm still on the PSTN, and would be most annoyed if they didn't give me any warning that they were about to move me over. I recently renewed and stayed on the PTSN, but shortly after others who renewed were swapped. That is why I asked earlier if you had taken out a new contract.

Out of interest, how did you find out you had been transferred?

We weren't receiving phone calls and I kept trying to call the landline with no response. I thought there was a problem with the wiring and eventually called Vodafone to report a fault with the phone line. They told me to plug the phone in the back of the router which seemed a bit odd and then we realized that they had moved us to VOIP without ever telling us.

Jayach

That really is appalling. Have you thought of raising an official complaint?

CrimsonLiar

Couple of heads up here.

If you were to plumb in the extensions, you can't directly use the master socket if you are on FTTC/VDSL2.  You'd have to disconnect the extensions from the master socket before connecting them to the phone socket on the ATA.

Regards the security alarm, I'd get an independent alarm installer to have a look.  It's often possible (but not always) to reuse the sensors and the wire runs to them with a new control box.  You are still probably looking at a few hundred quid, but at least it's not thousands.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, we were on notice that the POTS (Plain Old Telephone System) on our estate will be decommissioned by the end of the year (except for those who are vulnerable).  The notice of this came initially from OpenReach, in a "for the attention of the occupier" letter with the note that "your provider will be in contact with more details".  Obviously, we've heard nothing from Vodafone on that changeover even though it looks like the slower plans will have to move from FTTC to FTTP.  *A near full decommissioning by the look of it, and not just the analogue voice part.  In-laws less than a mile away have had a similar letter telling them they'll be upgraded from ADSL to VDSL2 (they cant get FTTP) and will also be moved to VOIP via the DECT ability on their BT Hub.

Jayach

Unfortunately with the upcoming PSTN (Public switched telephone network) switch off, there are many people with the same concerns. It has not really been said exactly what provision will be made for things such as medical monitors and other essential services, so you are not alone with your problem.

As for getting an ATA, unless keeping your current phone number is important, you could get any one you want, and get a VoIP service to go with it. With the cost of calls on the Vodafone digital voice line, it may work out cheaper, and will have many more facilities.

Edit: I don't know if anyone has successfully ported their number from Vodafone to a VoIP service, without cancelling the underlying broadband. Now that the voice service is digital, it should be possible, but Vodafone's systems may not have the facility.