Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Landline phone with own router on FTTP

bruce_miranda
4: Newbie

Just got FTTP and everything is working fine off the VF router. Phone lines are plugged into the VF router, VF router's WiFi is switched off. 3rd party Mesh has been switched to Bridge mode and plugged into the VF's ethernet port.

However I am shocked at how feature poor the VF router is. e.g. There are no Parental controls at all. I know I can get rid of the VF router and plug my own Mesh router into the Openreach ONT, but what about the Landline. 

Are there any 3rd party routers in the market that have a telephone socket at the back to allow the home phone to be plugged in? 

663 REPLIES 663

Yeah, I was asking for the PPPoE details and I had seen this thread yesterday. But I kinda thought you don't get if you don't ask. I was also expecting not get but perhaps got lucky.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you matey.

From the Vodafone complaints team:

> We've now looked into this and found that due to regulatory and security reasons, we're unable to provide the VOIP credentials requested. As a communications provider, we register each landline number to a specific address and this information is shared with emergency services. Additionally, it's necessary for us to ensure the landline number provided is used only within the area code this is assigned to. If we provided the necessary details, it would be possible for the number to be used in any location or on a mobile device. For these reasons, regrettably there's no option for us to provide these details in any circumstance.

They then suggest that I plug in the provided router and double NAT.

Pretty poor excuse if you ask me! Sounds a lot like they don't know how to protect their own network. Poor do for an ISP.

@xle wrote:

From the Vodafone complaints team:

> We've now looked into this and found that due to regulatory and security reasons, we're unable to provide the VOIP credentials requested. As a communications provider, we register each landline number to a specific address and this information is shared with emergency services. Additionally, it's necessary for us to ensure the landline number provided is used only within the area code this is assigned to. If we provided the necessary details, it would be possible for the number to be used in any location or on a mobile device. For these reasons, regrettably there's no option for us to provide these details in any circumstance.

They then suggest that I plug in the provided router and double NAT.

Pretty poor excuse if you ask me! Sounds a lot like they don't know how to protect their own network. Poor do for an ISP.

I argued that there modem would not work to my software suppliers security standard (IPSEC), In which case the product could not be used. 

I've pointed out to them in my response that I could very easily tunnel the VOIP traffic downstream of their router to whatever corner of the world I liked - preventing me from connecting my own VOIP server makes no difference at all...

@rockerbox wrote:

I argued that there modem would not work to my software suppliers security standard (IPSEC), In which case the product could not be used. 

Did this angle work?

Yes it did, But as I say Business customers may be different. 

rockerbox
2: Seeker

I think if you are a business customer Its more likely you are given them as well.

I had mine after June the 11th

johnccl

I have been trying to setup SIP/VOIP on Avaya IP Office 500v2 - was given some SIP details by Vodafone who I found very unhelpful.

The router provided, with the PABX analogue line plugged into the router I found  it does not pass any tones sent by the caller to our autoattendant resulting in the call failing. Plugging a standard phone into the router port - no tones can be heard (obviously not inband). This was the reason to junk the supplied router and use the Draytek we already had through to the IP Office. 

I am a business customer.

Last response from vodamoan was that their VOIP/SIP service is not compatible with ANY 3rd party equipment, only working with their supplied  router. 

I have other SIP services with other providers working fine, anyone managed to get IPO working with VF

Product information for VoIP

Username / Password
voi001903XXX / XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX - 15chr password

SIP proxy
xbn.Z3.bbvoice.vodafone.co.uk

SIP registrar
resvoip.vodafone.co.uk

SIP URI
voi001903XXX

Ripshod
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

@johnccl You likely have the correct details, but you certainly don't have the correct device. If you'd bothered to look back in this thread you'd know that only certain Grandstream and Cisco devices are compatible

I assume the Grandstream devices are external ata adapters. Will they forward tones from a caller to the autoattendant or like the vodafone box filter them out. 

The IPO wasn't mentioned in previouse threads, hence the reason to ask. 

My last communication with VF they stated their system is not compatible with any 3rd party device, obviously this is incorrect as you state that it works with some grandstream devices.  

One post stated VF had provided a incomplete password which prevented them from registering, Is it 15chr or 16chr.