Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Landline

Joningy
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Changed ISP from BT to Vodafone last Friday, my 70mbs fibre works well but no landline phone. I connected the phone to the VF green router socket using the supplied cable, but nothing. After wasting hours chatting to (useless) online support, no better of. Except the phone is now plugged into the Openreach wall socket, but still no landline. With 2 dependant relatives, we urgently need landline.

36 REPLIES 36

WelshPaul
16: Advanced member

Is the phone light lit on the router? If there is no phone light illuminated on the router then do a factory reset and wait half an hour before doing anything else. The router will re-configure itself and the phone will provision, it did for me. 🤞

Thanks Paul, I've reset the hub, I'll wait 30 minutes and see what happens. Cheers. John. 

WelshPaul

Don't make any alterations after the factory reset. Just reset and wait. Take a look every now and then and you should finally see the phone led illuminated! You can then configure the router as you please. 🙂🤞

All lights now lit up, except phone (landline) but I was told to plug the lead into the Openreach socket on the wall, so it's not connected to the hub at all, if this correct, or should I reconfigure the connection, when I was with BT, the phone plugged into the router /hub. 

WelshPaul

You don't need a phone connected to the TEL1 port on the back of the router for the phone service to provision or the led to illuminate. How is the broadband line being supplied to your property? You mention fibre in your original post, is that FTTP or FTTC?

If the phone led on the router hasn't illuminated after half an hour then it is unlikely that your phone services is digital voice. I'm not familiar with ADSL or FTTC connections but I believe both still require the use of a BT NTE5A master socket. Is the BT master socket dead?

It's FTTP Paul. 

All has been working well with BT for the past 2 years with telephone plugged into the router/ hub, so I really don't understand what is different!

The online chat is awful compared to BT, their typing is so slow and their knowledge isn't better.

Do Vodafone monitor this thread Paul?

I'm getting a bit miffed with VF, they just want the money like all other big suppliers, their interest in things of this nature seemingly low.

Thanks Paul, I'm not sure what happens next. 

WelshPaul

Unfortunately you won't get any help from Vodafone here. Only advice and recommendations from other customers like myself.  Vodafone support is probably one of the worst out there tbh!

Sorry my solution didn't work for you, all I know is it did for me and I had the same problem as you. 

All working fine now Paul.

I did another reset and with the landline plugged into the green phone socket it's all fine. Why the [Removed] don't Vodafone put this in their instructions literature, you and I can't be the only ones where the phone didn't work.

Vodafone's online engineers are absolutely useless. 

A simple solution, I didn't even notice the reset option on the back of the router. 

Thanks very much for your help Paul. 

[MOD EDIT: This post has been edited to remove off topic/personal information/inappropriate content please see Community Guidelines]

Jayach

@Joningy wrote:

I did another reset and with the landline plugged into the green phone socket it's all fine. Why the F*** don't Vodafone put this in their instructions literature, you and I can't be the only ones where the phone didn't work.

To be fair, it is written on the box the router ships in. 

Vodafone router phone Set Up Guide.jpg

How did you connect the phone to the TEL socket, RJ45=RJ45 cable or an adapter?