Ask

Solution

Phone line

vtjunks76
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi

I recently had Gigafast installed. The installation is done as

From the telephone pole the fiber cable is coming to an outside gray color box. There are two output from the gray box

1) to the Openreach telephone socket.

2) to a small white box with 3 LED lights. This box is installed inside the house.

My Vodafone hub is connected to the white box via a RJ45 cable. No issues with the internet. The problem is with the telephone.

My phone is plugged into the OpenReach socket. I can hear the dial tone but no calls are coming,  I can hear the ring when ring home phone number  from a mobile but the call is not coming.

However, the phone works if I plug the phone into the telephone port on the back of the hub . 

Since the phone is served by the hub,  telephone goes offline when the hub is offline. 

How can make phone work with openreach socket without using the hub?

Anyone had similar problem?. Appreciate your help. 

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8

Jayach
16: Advanced member

As you are on Gigafast your phone service is VOIP and is connected via the telephone sockets on the router.

Why would you have the hub offline?

I would imagine the Openreach socket is still copper and is there in case you return to FTTC at some time. (surprised it has a dial tone. Can you dial out?)

Hi Jayach,

Thanks for the reply.  

My concern is if the hub offline due to a power outage or go faulty then until it became operational I can't make or receive any phone calls. This is the wrong way to implement a service, isn't it?

Yes I can dial out but get the message "Please check the number"

Thanks,

Jayach

When you signed up you should have been asked if you had another method of making emergency calls such as a mobile. The Gigafast information makes it clear it can't be relied of for emergency calls or if you have services such as careline.

Never explained to me that the phone is dependent on the Hub. Is there a way I can make the phone work over the OpenReach box?

Jayach

Not without taking a second line, and even then the PSTN is due to be switched off by 2025 and all telephone services will be VOIP.

https://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/bt-telephone-network-voip

Jayach

Section 5.1 point e says to contact the VF 3 day prior to the installation. To me, it sounds like there are some options here.. any idea what that might be?

Jayach

No idea. If you are a Vulnerable customer, then give the phone number a ring.