Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Port landline from Virginmedia.

Mouse10
2: Seeker

Joined Vodafone from VM 15/12/20. Contract with VM expired 30/12/20. I asked to transfer my old landline number, which has been set up, when I dial out it comes up as my old number. However when dialling in it doesn't ring. Turns out my old number is still live at VM, they say waiting for Vodafone to request it. Phone Vodafone they say they never contact VM and want me to get a MAC number fromVM to complete the transfer. Any ideas how to get this resolved??

7 REPLIES 7

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @Mouse10, that's strange, we normally take over everything at once. As Virgin usually use their own infrastructure and we wouldn't be taking over the line, this maybe what's caused the confusion here. Let's see if we can get everything straightened out for you and get your number transferred over. As we'll need access to your account to do this, please pop us a private message via Facebook at Vodafone UK, or on Twitter using the handle @VodafoneUK. Please include a link to this thread and your Community ID when you contact us, as this will save you repeating yourself.

clint_flick
12: Established
12: Established

Hi

Dunno.

I had the same sort of problem, and it turned out that VM had failed to tick a box, the fault would seem to be with VM rather VF.

It needed a lot of phone calls to VM to get anyone to attempt to help.

But each case in unique.

Hi, potentially a new user IF i can get someone to confirm that Vodafone will xfer across my existing landline number as part of a broadband/landline switch from VM. Each time i have tried to sign up only to be told that VodaFone will NOT request my number to be ported and that I, myself, must  get VM to release it? Surely not?

I've transfered my landline number many times, both and out each of Voda and VM without any problems. Is this a fact or am i being led up the proverbial here?

If i can be so bold as to aska second question ... just what am i signing up to when i tick 'Add a second line' as, although currently on VM my landline WAS on a BT master socket just a couple of years backso i'm guessing the line is fit for purpose or is this second line aassociated to broadband and landline in is a separate entity these days? Also, i'massuming that the reason i'm being told that i cant port a VM number through VOdaFone is nothing to do with this second line. I need to get things moving. Out of contract 0n 12th March and i dont wan to lose my landline number if i cancel. thanks for reading ... anyone!

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey there @superloopy2 - We will always try to move your landline across but we can't promise that it will be possible. As Virgin Media use a separate line to us, this may be why you have experienced issues with moving it across. I would suggest to speak with our sales team on 0333 304 0191 or webchat to clarify if we can take over the number or not.

Add second line means you would be taking out an additional broadband line to the one your signing up for. For more info on second lines, please have a look here.

Mouse10

Update, 2 weeks of calls, still not working.

Vodaphone tech support is awful. Never get to speak to the same person twice. Each follow up call they want you to start the whole dreary story again, despite giving you a job number to refer to.

Should of stayed with Virginmedia, and thats saying something !

I did finally get this working after going through the whole thing again with Vodafone. They got Openreach to contact me again and I finally got someone who understood the problem. It was working within 10 minutes.

I would say that if you are porting a number from Virginmedia, dont take it as certain it can be done, no matter what Vodafone tell you. And if things go slightly wrong, be prepared for many phone calls to get it sorted.

Hi

""I would say that if you are porting a number from Virginmedia, dont take it as certain it can be done, no matter what Vodafone tell you. And if things go slightly wrong, be prepared for many phone calls to get it sorted.""

CORRECT.