Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Problems with Digital Voice calling iPhones

Gytrash
3: Seeker

Is anyone else experiencing a problem when calling a mobile - specifically in my case iPhones - using the Digital Voice landline?

I have just moved over to Vodafone Broadband with Landline and whilst the broadband setup is fine, whenever I have tried calling my own and my wife’s mobile form the DV landline, the connection fails.

Sometimes the iPhone doesn't ring, sometimes it does bit cuts off when the the green answer call button is pressed. At the landline end, you hear the call ringing, but when the iPhone attempts to answer, the sound changes to a sort of repetitive ‘honking’ tone and that's it, until the landline cancels the call.

I've tried it with several different landline phones, tethered and cordless - the result is the same. The call iPhone -> DV land line seems fine.

Any clues? 

78 REPLIES 78

KazMac2

I’ve had exactly the same issue. Problem still not solved after 12 days 😢

Same problem since switching to Vodafone & digital fibre landline in mid January.

Did you get a resolution?

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@Gytrash @KazMac2 

Is it definately only iPhones? Does it work O.K. on other (android) phones?

Ripshod

Is this only while the phones are connected to WiFi, or is it also while the phones are on the mobile network? 

Gytrash

Currently at work so I've not been able to do further testing. I'm not sure re. Android. Can't say for certain, but I think when I tried to call my wife she wasn't on WiFi. My iPhone was close to the router and connected to WiFi.

Would a DV landline call to a mobile not just use the mobile provider’s telephony network, irrespective of whether WiFi was present?  If it was VOIP tech I'd expect the calls to be ‘free’ instead of the usual 13p per minute for DV landline calls I was quoted!

Jayach

@Gytrash wrote:
If it was VOIP tech I'd expect the calls to be ‘free’ instead of the usual 13p per minute for DV landline calls I was quoted!

VoIP calls aren't free, but will be included in the VoIP providers subscription.

The same applies to Vodafone on both landline and digital voice, but it's called inclusive calls at £8.00 per month. 

Jayach_0-1700573531373.png

Ghi13
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi we have been contacting Vodafone for my elderly father since October with the same fault !! He has not been able to contact my mobile , iPhone, and as I’m his only carer and he lives 35 miles away we are not getting anywhere . We have 20 pages of notes on dates and times of calls with promises to phone back nothing . Last time was today when a complaints adviser called for 50 mins and repeated all the same questions and wanted to start another ticket .just don’t know who to contact now 

Gytrash

I've been able to establish that the problem appears to be Digital Voice landline calls to EE mobiles. My father-in-law has an Android phone, my wife and I have iPhones, all of which are on EE. Calls from a Vodafone DV landline -> EE mobiles DON'T work. Calls from EE mobiles -> the Vodafone DV landline DO work, however.

It's clearly a Vodafone -> EE issue, rather than a device-based malfunction. Maybe the Vodafone DV landline doesn't work with other mobile networks? Anyone had any experience of this? My wife has a second mobile: a pay-as-you-go Vodafone handset and we can ring that from the DV landline without issue.

Whilst not being a dealbreaker from my POV - as long as my 90+ in-laws can reach us from their landline to ours in an emergency, it's acceptable - it is extremely annoying. I have been sold a technology that doesn't work as well as the one it's supposed to be replacing, which from a major UK supplier, is totally unprofessional. We know that land lines are old-school and a nuisance for go-ahead tech giants to maintain, but there are plenty of oldies out there who barely use or understand mobile phones and still rely on their trusty telephones for staying in touch. they are clearly being thrown under a bus because it's not profitable.

Rant over... 😏

Jayach

You have had a failed (or split) port. It's not that unusual and Vodafone should be able to solve it if you tell them it is just EE mobiles you can't reach.

Call them on 08080 034 515 or use live chat https://www.vodafone.co.uk/bbservcd/ and tell them just that.