cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Transfer landline number from non-Openreach provider (VOIP) - too difficult?!

jefft
4: Newbie

I'm trying to get my landline number - which is currently with a VOIP provider - transferred onto my real (Vodafone) landline, replacing its current number.  After an hour or so on chat with a couple of different agents, it seems that the computer says 'no' - that is, your system cannot find my number or thinks it's not transferrable.

That can't be right; it was originally an Openreach line number and I moved it to VOIP.  Now I want it back on an OR line, under Vodafone.

Is there something that needs to happen here to make this happen?  Escalation to the right part of Vodafone that can initiate a transfer when the computer is struggling, perhaps?  I have no problem asking the VOIP provider to do something, but everything I've had from Voda's agents so far hasn't made sense to them when I've passed on the requests - 'a MAC code', 'unlock the number' - these sound like mobile terms and the VOIP guys didn't recognise the need to do any of them.

Help!

6 REPLIES 6

WelshPaul
16: Advanced member

@jefft wrote:

I'm trying to get my landline number - which is currently with a VOIP provider - transferred onto my real (Vodafone) landline, replacing its current number. 

What VoIP provider is the number currently with?

@jefft wrote:

Is there something that needs to happen here to make this happen?

Both parties need a porting agreement in place for the port to go ahead...

Vodafone being the gaining provider need to initiate the port and once they do that, your current VoIP provider (loosing provider) will contact you and request you complete a Customer Letter of Authority form before authorising the request.

@jefft wrote:

I've passed on the requests - 'a MAC code', 'unlock the number' - these sound like mobile terms and the VOIP guys didn't recognise the need to do any of them.

None of the above terms exist where porting a geographical number is concerned. A MAC code (Migration Authorisation Code) is required when switching broadband providers! As for 'unlock the number', no such thing.

That's how I understood it.  So VF's chat support people appear not to know what they're talking about and can only punch numbers into a VF system that for some reason doesn't recognise numbers serviced by VOIP providers.  Similar-sounding problem to many posts I found on this forum about Virgin numbers.

So, Vodafone moderators - how do I get this picked up by the right person in VF who knows what to do to make the number transfer happen when the computer says 'err?' ?

WelshPaul

Have you asked your current VoIP provider if the number can be ported out or not? 

Could be a case of Scenario 7:

https://www.ukvoipforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=1331

Hopefully not, if it's a case of no porting agreement being in place between Vodafone and your VoIP provider then you won't be able to port the number over unfortunately. You could port it away from your current VoIP provider to another provider Vodafone do have an agreement with, but that will be timely , expensive process and thats if you can find one that doesn't require that you commit to a minimum term contract.

Good Luck!

Interesting post you linked, thanks.  I don't think it's any of those 7 scenarios; it's an ex-BT number that's currently with an IPEX (VOIPfone/iNet), trying to go back to the BT exchange from whence it originally came.  Doesn't feel difficult!  Maybe the world is sending me a message, 'Ditch the landline, stick with VOIP and get a different ISP!' 😉

The VF chat support guy last night asked me the provider before he asked the number, and came back saying 'okay, we can do that' then asked for the number, so I presume that means that porting is possible between the two.  What I need, is someone knowledgeable in VF who can go off the standard process and find out what's really causing the problem with this number.

WelshPaul

@jefft wrote:

Maybe the world is sending me a message, 'Ditch the landline, stick with VOIP and get a different ISP!' 😉

Copper pair landlines will be a thing of the past come 2025. All new lines provided from here on in will be VoIP lines unless you're unlucky enough to live in an area where FTTP isn't available just yet.

Anyway, I doubt you will get any help from Vodafone here. Give them a shout on Facebook or Twitter if you can. 👍

@jefft
Just out of interest how did you get on with the transfer from VoIP provider back to Openrech?
Did it happen with VF?