Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone VOIP Adapter same as BT one?

rl11
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I currently have FTTP broadband and VOIP home phone with BT - no problems other than the price! Vodafone is that bit cheaper, so I'm tempted to switch. But it's important to me that I can use a Digital Voice Adapter like the one I have with BT, so I can connect my analog phone, in a different room, to the router via WiFi. I don't want to run any cables. The BT one works perfectly connecting the adapter to the router via WiFi. Vodafone mentions a VOIP Adapter (that they may or may not supply?) but I cannot find any info on how this works. Does the Vodafone one work like the BT one? Can I get pointed to any information (manual) that confirms it works? I have only found postings on the forum talking about wiring to the router which seems very backward and not very good for the future if everyone is expected to be on VOIP by 2025

BT VOIP Adapter is like this:

rl11_0-1666537840646.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@rl11 wrote:

Guess I'll have stick with BT

Sometimes, better the devil you know. 😉

View solution in original position

11 REPLIES 11

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Jayach

Your picture hasn't been moderated yet, and I've never been on BT, but answering a previous query on here, it appears the BT router acts as a DECT base station for the voice adapters, so no you won't be able to use them with the Vodafone router.

Solved: Digital voice adapters compatible with Vodafone - Community home

Jayach

OMG @AnnS you just beat me to it. LOL

AnnS

Wasn't intentional @Jayach .  I remembered the thread and didn't know you were there.  x

Jayach

It took me a couple of minutes to find it.

Jayach

@rl11 

A solution, to avoid using cables would be to get a DECT phone set and connect the base station to the router. It would be the same solution as the BT one, but you wouldn't be a able to use your analogue phones.

So a DECT phone will connect to the router wirelessly? Is it an easy thing to do? Manual anywhere?

I think I already have a DECT phone but with BT I simply plugged the phone connecter that was plugged into the old BT master socket, into the new VOIP WiFi adapter that BT supplied, so it was dead easy. What is the VOIP Adapter that Vodafone mention then?

https://support.vodafone.co.uk/Broadband/Pro-Broadband/1751006322/What-is-Vodafone-Digital-Voice-VoI...

"If you have any other type of broadband plan with us and it comes with Digital Voice, we include a VoIP adapter with the router"

Jayach

@rl11 wrote:

So a DECT phone will connect to the router wirelessly? Is it an easy thing to do? Manual anywhere?

No, the DECT base station will connect to the router by cable (instead of being built into the router as I believe BT do) But as it will be beside the router there will be no "trailing" cables.

The page you link to states: 

"How do I know if I have Digital Voice?

If you have Digital Voice, you plug your phone cable into your WiFi Hub, instead of plugging it straight into the wall."

So, the VoIP adapter is part of the Vodafone router.

Jayach

Just to add, all the previous replies are based on the current THG3000 router. Quite how it will work with the new Pro II router, I have no idea.