cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Gigacube 5G HH500V - reporting >200Mbps download speed but browser pages so slow

Grinds
3: Seeker

Have recently received a 5G gigacube.. found an optimal location where I can see ~200Mbps download regularly... using Fast.com and Vodafones own network speed checker. However, loading browser pages are incredibly slow.

I am suspecting this is because I am picking up Vodafone's automatic DNS server address when using DHCP for my devices and not well known performers such as google or OpenDNS (which is what I would normally do if using my own router or knowing where to configure it on the major router.)

Anyone know if it is possible to set this myself, or should I reinstate my old router as a slave and make it the DHCP server where I can set multiple DNS servers?

I have raised a tweet in this @Grinnders 

9 REPLIES 9

Grinds

Another interesting issue I experienced which may or may not have been related and I suspect there many not be many of you in the same boat. 

I use Zwift indoor training software and since installing the 5G I have been unable to upgrade the software on a number of different devices... it would download at a healthy 16Mbps often get to 20 seconds left and then stall for minutes or creep very slowly, seemingly timeout and restart. It would repeat this a few times and eventually provide me with a Zwift network error 112... which suggests unstable network.... even though as stated previously I'm seeing 200Mbps on network checker.

The Zwift logs suggest issues with the checksums.  This has happened on New Macbook Air (M1) older Macbook Air and on a Windows 11 PC.  

This morning I tried again but having first setup a NordVPN client (to the UK) before starting a fresh install. It worked no issues...  no checksum issues, no pausing at the end, similar download performance. 

I see the Gigacube 5G has a VPN setting and I am wondering whether to set that permanently on at the router... any suggestions?

So further testing with a vodafone chat agent (via TOBI Grrrr hate TOBI) and a few tests performed..

1) repeated test without VPN - failed (on old Macbook Air)

2) repeated test with macbook client VPN - passed no issues

3) They reset the SIM (took 15 mins - lost chat window) but recovered conversation with another chat agent

4) Put gigacube SIM in my iphone 13 Pro (apparently to activate it) but tested performance and was seeing typically what I'd seen before with my own Vodafone phone SIM 150Mbps download and about 29 up.

5) Put SIM back in gigacube and tried again (no client VPN) - still an issue - always getting to the last 20-10 seconds and stalling, before restarting and then reporting network error. Logs checked.. still checksum issues.

6) Reset the Gigacube to factory settings (backed up my config first) and tried with macbook (no VPN client) still an issue.

7) Chat agent suspects a router issue.... I'm not convinced... but asked me to take it to a shop.

😎 This morning (before going to a shop) I thought I would try my iPhone Vodafone 5G SIM and create a hotspot for Zwift download... No iOS client VPN and it worked ! This suggests it's not a generic 5G vodafone issue.

9) Tried the iPhone Vodafone 5G SIM in the Gigacube and repeated test (no client VPN)  - didn't work. This did started to make me think it was the router hardware or 

10) Tried the Gigacube 5G SIM in my phone and repeated the hotspot test - didn't work

11) Noticed from other posts there there is a difference between the APN profiles on the phone and the router so changed the router APN settings and rebooted. still to test

Amanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for keeping the thread updated @Grinds - please pop a reply back to our last message over Twitter and we'll be back in touch as soon as possible. 

I've also added a link to your post here, so when it's picked up, my colleague will be able to read through all of this, without you needing to repeat yourself. 

Grinds

I never resolved this issue other than implementing a VPN at the point of software upgrade. I have Zwift friends in Italy who are experiencing similar problems with vodafone.it.

Hi @Grinds We're sorry to see the issue is still unresolved, we'd be more than happy to look into this again for you. Given the time that's passed, we may just need to start from the beginning. Please pop our team a message on our social channels found here and the team will get started. 

Hi Janey. I've managed to work around it, but if it is happening to friends in Italy, that maynot even be using Gigacube it would suggest you have a confirguation issue 'against' Zwift download servers

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @Grinds If your friends in Italy are Vodafone Italy customers, they to contact them directly regarding this issue. We're only equipped to assist Vodafone UK customers here.

The thing is Mark, is that the Zwift website for downloads is likely to be the same address, which I suspect you may have on some list as suspicious?

hereypeter
1: Seeker

It's great to hear that you've found an optimal location for your 5G Gigacube with a consistent download speed of around 200Mbps, as verified by Fast.com and Vodafone's network speed checker. However, experiencing slow loading times for browser pages can be frustrating. Here are a few troubleshooting steps you can take to improve your browsing experience:

1. Clear Browser Cache:

• Clearing your browser's cache can help resolve slow loading issues. Cached data may become outdated or corrupted, affecting the loading speed.
  2. Check Browser Extensions:

• Some browser extensions can impact performance. Try disabling extensions one by one to identify if any of them are causing the slow browsing.
  3. Try Different Browsers:

• Test your connection with different web browsers to see if the issue is specific to one browser. This can help determine if the problem is related to the browser settings.
  4. DNS Configuration:

• Experiment with different DNS servers. You can manually set your DNS servers to popular ones like Google's (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) or Cloudflare's (1.1.1.1).
  5. Check for Network Interference:

• Ensure that there are no physical obstructions or interference that could affect the signal strength. Additionally, try placing the Gigacube in a different location to see if it improves the browsing speed.
  6. Contact Customer Support:

• If the issue persists, it's advisable to reach out to Vodafone's customer support. They can check for any network issues in your area or provide specific guidance tailored to your situation.
  7. Firmware/Software Updates:

• Ensure that your 5G Gigacube has the latest firmware or software updates installed. Manufacturers often release updates to address performance and compatibility issues.
  8. Device Compatibility:

• Check if the devices you are using are compatible with 5G technology. Some older devices may not fully utilize the capabilities of a 5G network.