Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Video, music and other passes

Orwell
4: Newbie

Sorry if this has been answered already, had a wee Search but didn't see anything. Just a curious question, if I had all the passes and had either mobile broadband or put my phone on a hotspot and then connected my pc, Xbox\ps4 and roku\apple tv to the hotspot or mobile broadband, then accessed one of the services the passes cover through one of those devices. Would the passes still work?

An simpler way to put it, if I have the video pass and have a hotspot on my phone with a pc\console connected to it and try to watch Netflix on one of those devices, does the pass still work and cost 0 data?

Cheers for any info

41 REPLIES 41

Yeah! I was testing that out. So, my theory is that the only way they can regulate this is through the apps themselves. So getting an android box (not to be confused with android TV - that won't work) and getting the apps through that should hopefully work. One thing I found out though, when I got my dodgy android box, was Netflix didn't allow me to download their app, as it has to be a proper registered (phone or tablet) device - which the box wasn't. I did manage to load a Netflix app onto it, but it was horrifically slow.

If that's the case, you're probably better off getting a cheap phone or tablet with a 1080p screen (that also has a hdmi output) and connecting it directly to the TV. Maybe some Bluetooth keyboard and mouse for navigation. 

This is starting to to turn into a money pit already :Sad_face: i bought a mirco usb to hdmi cable today only to find out my phone, my partners phone, and my old note 4 wont work with the cable... ##~##

As I understand it, you need a phone/tablet that already has HDMI output, and you may need some additional apps to get around the restrictions on using it. I've found a list updated this year - https://www.computersdealstore.com/list-of-all-2016-2017-phones-supporting-mhl-or-hdmi-output/ - but you may need to do a wider search to get all the details you need.

What mobiles do you both have? The cables can be a hit or miss. Samsung have their own one that you can buy from their website. That should technically work with all Samsung's (least I'd assume so). I've got an s8 and have some random one off amazon.

But you're now in the same boat as me. Its doable, but is it worth spending the extra money? 

Hi Orwell, first off, thanks for your replys you've been very helpful the last few days. It great having good surrport and help from others, espically since vodafone seem to be useless in all regards of knowing whats going on. I have a xiaomi redmi note 4 (great little phone) and my gf is using a huawei p9 lite. I also have an old samsung note 4 and a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3. All of which didnt work. The cable i bought mind you is just a basic poundland mirco usb to hdmi. But after i tried the cable with our devices I read the back of the packaging and it said down the bottom it wouldnt work with samsung devices. I learned a valuable lesson there to always read the packing before buying.

I've just stumbled across this thread searching on a similar vein. In my case I'm looking to tether my phone to my Anker Capsule, which is an Android portable projector. My hope is that this will be recognised as a tablet, but I have concerns that as it doesn't run Google Play I've had to sideload the apks of each streaming app. Does anyone know if that should be ok? Also my other half is asking if we'll be able to use the video pass to access ITV Hub...I thought when it was announced that ITV was one of the inclusive services under the video pass but I can't see it listed anymore? 

Hi, I had a similar idea testing my projector but never got a chance to test, but definitely worth a try. I dont know if the ITV HUB is included. I don't think it is. We enede up getting rid of the vodafone and going to three, they had a deal 40gb with "binge" which allows free Netflix and YouTube streaming for £30 rolling, then the guy in the shop said a new law had been made in Europe, and that you can buy any SIM and do what you want. So now what we have is a £35 rolling contract with UNLIMITED DATA, pm me for more information/details

ORLAITHQUIGLEY, I'd watch out. From what i read, you're only covered to watch SD and not HD videos. Cant remember what vodafone allow, but its possibly SD too. 

Hi All.   

Its a very frustrating scenario so far. 1 day vodafone tells you everything will be fine then the next another adviser bursts your bubble.

I just moved into a place with 4 mbps broadband so need a solution. 

touching on your android box solution i have a nvidia shield which is a android box essentially and have been using netflix etc for a while now.  I seem to remember i had to set it up with my android phone and wonder if i connect this device to my phone as a hotspot this will work with the unlimited data. So ill give it a go

Whats best way to track data to see if its working or not

I don't think that would work. As the nvidia shield is an android TV box and not an android box, kinda confusing. So a hotspot wouldn't work as the app on the shield is different to the one on the phones/tablets. But! Since the shield is an android, their are ways you can install mobile/tablet apps onto it. Then the hotspot might work. A quick Google will throw up  loads of video guides showing you how to install mobile/tablet apps onto the shield, I'd go for the tablet one. 

I never got that far as I got bored. So hopefully it would work.

Tracking the data is a different story. The Vodafone app is super slow and doesn't track the data that well. But it's usually a hot or miss. Let us know how you get on!