Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Free WiFi Calling iPhone 7plus

Concorde671
4: Newbie

Trying to use Free W-Fi calling, which I can has been set up in My Mobile Data Settings. Yet everytime I make a call I can later see that Vodafone have charged me for the international call. This means me contacting Vodafone, explaining that the call I was (I thought) free using the WiFi Calling. Vodafone then do some checks, tell me that I should not have been charged and refund the cost of the call. Is it because I can see one bar on my Vodafone signal strength indicator that I am not actually making a free call? If so, what do I need to do to disable the Vodafone signal?

5 REPLIES 5

Amanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @Concorde671 👋 thanks for explaining what's happening - it sounds like your Wi-Fi signal isn't strong enough or doesn't support the call, so it's automatically using the mobile network. 

There isn't an option within your phone settings to choose your Wi-Fi network over your mobile network, for making calls - have you tried removing your SIM card completely, to see if you're able to make your call this way? 

Hi Amanda

The WiFi signal strength is very strong, as you can see from the attached image.

I will try removing the SIM card to see if I can make free calls, but as you can see from the Vodafone signal sgtrength it's incoming calls that can also be affected. Which is where Wifi free calls would be great but necessary with the Sim card to receive the callsVodafone _Screenshot 2022-02-24 at 13.46.42.png

AnnS
17: Community Champion

@Amanda 

I thought data calling comes out of allowance, according to the data calling page on the website here: Data Calling 'there is no extra charge for WiFi and 4G calling, all calls and texts come from usual allowance'.   Also when making an international call this would also be chargeable at normal calling internationally from the UK rates here: Charge Checker -International 

I would have thought there is some mobile signal stopping data calling and by putting the phone on offline or flight mode would solve the problem.

AnnS

@Evie 

Would there be an update for this thread ?  WiFi calling is not free.

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @Concorde671. As advised by @AnnS Wi-Fi calls will come out of your usual call allowance as per our Data Calling page "There's no extra charge for using Wi-Fi Calling. All calls you make with it use minutes from your allowance as usual."

Just to confirm, are you calling internationally on Wi-Fi? Depending on your plan and if you have any international extras, this will incur a charge as if you were calling on normal data. Please see the link provided above by AnnS for a breakdown of charges to expect. If you would like us to check your account please get in touch with us on social media.