Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

How do I turn off 5GHz wifi on Vodafone hub

AliBaba19
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I am in Expert mode. Wifi setup page., Main Wifi, Frequency 2.4.5HHz showing. I change to 2.4GHz only and hit the Apply button. I get a message saying changes have not been saved. At the top of the page a message states I should be in Expert Mode. The pull down menu top right reads Expert Mode.

14 REPLIES 14

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @AliBaba19 - with the updates on our routers, changing channels is no longer a feature via our self-serve options as our routers will pick the best available channel automatically, to help you with getting the most out of our service.

To activate this service, please complete these steps from the router home page - 192.168.1.1 in your web address bar. Using the login details from the white sticker on the back of your router, go to Wi-Fi and then General Settings. Please ensure 'Split Wi-Fi bands' is set to off.

When going to Expert Mode from the drop down box and then Wi-Fi from the main menu, please go to Wi-Fi Settings > Band Selection > More Options > Select Channel. If this isn't set to Auto, select Auto from the drop down menu and click Update Channel for both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.
Then in Diagnostics and Cures, if the status shows 'ACS state should be enabled' select the Enable ACS button. Your router will then work to ensure you're using the optimal settings.

Please let me know if this helps.

I am also trying to turn off the 5Ghz on my router.  I came across this thread, but the steps that you detail do not appear to be the same for me.

I have logged into the router easily enough, used both normal and advanced settings, but cannot see 'Split Wi-Fi bands' in any menu.  I certainly do not have the option for  Wi-Fi Settings > Band Selection > More Options > Select Channel in 'Advanced Setting' - i wonder if there has been an update that has removed them?

My requirement is that all of my Wi-Fi plugs are 2.4Ghz only, when I changed my router from Sky to you  i had to reset all of the plugs.  In order to get them to re-join i need my iPhone on the same 2.4Ghz network and the iPhone auto joins the 5Ghz channel!  

Can you help??!

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey there @Arty_Mac - I'm sorry to hear the steps outlines above do not appear for you. Could you attach a screenshot of the steps your referring to please so that we can get this fed back to the team?

Have you checked if there is an update for the firmware on your router? To do this, go to the GUI > Expert mode - Firmware update - Check for update.

I was not able to turn off 5GHz from a desktop PC. However, using the app on my phone was successful.

Can i ask where you found the setting to do this in the app? I have been trying to set up some smart bulbs and I am required to be on 2.4ghz on my mobile to do so but I can't seem to find a way to turn off 5ghz.

I am also trying to pair some Wi-Fi plugs where my phone needs to be on the 2.4 ghz band

after chatting with Vodafone looks like I will not be able to use these:

I'm sorry but unfortunately, there is no option to split or disable the frequencies anymore as it causes the pro boosters to become unstable

Now i need to try and find out how to remove the pro boosters as they don't seem to be helping

Unfortunately Vodafone have removed the option to turn of 5GHz. Annoying as it does cause problems. sorry I cannot offer any advise.

So I managed to get my smart bulbs connected, though it was a bit of a faff. You need to go to an area in your home where your signal drops drastically but you are still connected to WiFi. As the 2.4ghz band can reach further, your phone should then switch to that. It's a bit of a pain keeping your device at that sweet spot between being far enough to switch to 2.4ghz but not so far that you lose WiFi completely, or too close that it keeps switching back to 5ghz. I hope you manage to get it to work for you. 

I was able to split the wifi using the guide below:

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Other-broadband-queries/Can-I-change-my-home-broadband-channel/td-p/...

luckily I had an old android phone and was able to do this.

I did unplug the super booster the went into the old version of the android all and split the wifi, the 5ghz band was named differently.

I then used the 2.4Ghz band to connect my smart plugs to the originally named network

I went back into the app and removed the split, connected up the booster and everything seems to be working.