Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Is my phone now using VoLTE

Wiganken
3: Seeker

For some time now Vodafone have been prompting me to buy a new phone with 4g Calling (VoLTE) before the 3g cut-off date but I didn’t in the belief that 2g should be okay for calls/texts and also that VF cannot afford to be seen to be forcing people to dump otherwise good phones due to them switching off 3g. Lo and behold it seems that VF are now allowing my current phone to use VoLTE. See ‘Call history’ photo below. I believe the HD text inside the square box stands for "High Definition Calls over Voice" and indicates that my phone is now using 4g calling or VoLTE.

What I have noticed is that the VoLTE call quality is erratic. Probably because 4g reception is not very good where I live. I find people can't hear me sometimes or my phone doesn't ring when people call me resulting in missed calls. Most times it is okay but a definite decline in calls/texts reliability.

Question 1 - Can anyone confirm that my phone is now using VoLTE? (see photo).

Question 2 - Is anyone else finding VoLTE unreliable?

HD VoLTE.jpg

7 REPLIES 7

CrimsonLiar
16: Advanced member

You seem to be making an awful lot of assumptions and might want to take a look at: 
https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Network-queries/VoLTE-to-be-blocked-unless-phone-is-on-Vodafone-appr...
Me, I'm still using a Xiaomi Poco F3 which until Vodafone changed their policy on VoLTE used to have this enabled, but alas no more!.  I would not be assuming that any provider will continue to support old hardware indefinitely, the point where economic support is not financially viable, often comes earlier than reluctant consumers are willing to accept.
FYI, if the phone is an Android you can usually see in the SIM settings if VoLTE (and separately WiFi calling) is enabled

Wiganken

The phone is only 2-years old. It is a Xiaomi Redmi 10 and 4g capable. It is on a pay monthly contract but not VoLTE included. I only asked the question because I see the square boxes with 'HD' inside, which I thought meant that the phone was using "High Definition calls over Voice" and I thought this meant VoLTE.

Wiganken

"I only asked the question because I see the square boxes with 'HD' inside, which I thought meant that the phone was using "High Definition calls over Voice" and I thought this meant VoLTE."

Any answers anyone?

CrimsonLiar

I have the very same "HD" moniker showing up against certain calls, but my Poco F3 is no longer using VoLTE thanks to that Vodafone policy change.  They're definitely when I'm out on the road and there's no pattern that I can see.  One of the "HD" calls I have listed is it with a truly ancient Android phone!

Wiganken

Here is where I got my understanding of the 'HD in square box' symbol from. It may be way of improving call quality on some, but not all, calls and I now see that it is not VoLTE or 4g Calling?: -

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/thread/73937032/what-is-the-small-hd-in-the-box-after-a-name-o...

Wiganken

Here is another source. Both sources imply that HD is a call quality improvement technology and they mention VoLTE in the same articles. Maybe HD is a variation of VoLTE? Just guessing. : -

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/business-insights-ideas/resources/what-is-hd-voice-cal...

Extract from this article: - "VoLTE and Wi-Fi are examples of Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) that support HD voice"

japitts
5: Helper

VF have enabled WB-AMR codec (HD voice) over 2G