cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

TW18-Staines poor signal indoor and outdoor for the last 18 months!

kxning11
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

1) Does the issue happen in just one location? If so, how far do you have to travel to regain service?

Mainly inside of the house, it was the signal problem of having no signal or very poor signal strength, it gets slightly better when outside of the house however the speed is far less than your advertised excellent 4G & 5G coverage and speed. I remember the reception was very reliable until about 18-24 months ago.

2) What is the full postcode (e.g. ST1 1AA) of where the issue occurs? If you don't want this showing on the Community, add it to your profile here.

TW18 4HP

3) Does the issue occur if you try your SIM card in a different phone?

Yes, have tried with 5 different phones and most of are all new phones supporting 5G, Samsung S23 Ultra, Xiaomi 13 Pro, Oneplus Open

4) What errors are seen or heard when the issue occurs?

in some part of the house at the ground floor, there is dead spot where there is no reception at all. Constantly struggling to even make phone calls, 4G bar showing 1 bar or sometimes nothing. Had to install a mobile signal booster in order to gain some coverage back to make phone calls, but mobile internet is average between 1-3M per second only.

5) Does this happen on 2G, 3G, 4G or all?

It's showing 4G but no signal strength or actual 4G speed.

6) When did you first notice this issue?

Vodafone used to be quite reliable in my house and outdoor until about 2 years ago. But we all notice it's getting worse month by month. When I walk outside of the house, I can see the phone keeps on switching from 4G, 4G+, or 5G, but the speed currently is average only about 5-10M/sec, which is far less than what your website claims have excellent 4G coverage and 5G coverage outdoor.

7) Is the issue permanent or intermittent? If intermittent, are there certain times of the day when it occurs?

It's been permanent for the last 18 months.

3 REPLIES 3

Andy

Hi @kxning11 👋 Thanks for providing the above details. I have checked the mast that we predict you are using and it looks like this is running normally. The mast being used does also serve a retail park, this is most likely having some level of impact on your service due to the large amount of traffic the mast needs to handle. As you have said this is getting progressively worse we can see about getting this raised to our network team. To do this we will need to take some more details from, if you could please reach out to the social team here. When contacting us just provide a link to this post which should mean you don't need to explain your issue again.

I've followed the instructions to speak to Vodafone social media contact team and quoted my reference. Didn't get anywhere, spoke to the customer service agent who walked me through the process to reset my network, still nothing changed.

At the end I went to get an O2 card in my SIM 2 slot,  as my phone supports dual SIM (one Plus open) and using the O2 SIM I'm achieving 200M+ /Sec speed outdoor where 

Screenshot_2023-12-02-22-23-22-74_79d0ff8f9752a3fc32487e6d62330a6a.jpg

Screenshot_2023-12-02-22-20-08-75_79d0ff8f9752a3fc32487e6d62330a6a.jpg

It's just two different network, all outdoor, same location tests, can achieve so much different results... I do notice my Vodafone internet during tests was keeping on changing between 4G+ and 5G and 4G, there must be something wrong of signal strength in my area, even outdoors!

@kxning11 wrote:

keeping on changing between 4G+ and 5G and 4G, there must be something wrong of signal strength in my area, even outdoors!

Not really - the network sets the order of preference for each layer (which includes different bands of the same tech), and if you're on the edge of a preferred layer - it can be competely normal for a phone to flip-flop between them.