cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

2.4 GHz wifi only works from 2 feet or less and hub overview shows phone connected

Pando8181
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi,

A couple of queries, hoping someone can shine some light.

I've just joined Vodafone broadband last Thursday. Everything was working fine until Saturday morning, when suddenly every device connected to the router using 2.4 GHz disconnected. Now I can only connect with these devices from 2 feet away or less. I've tried a different Vodafone router and have no problem getting a 2.4 GHz signal from the usual distance, but the second router cannot connect to the internet. 

Also, a different matter that I don't believe is related, but my router overview page shows a phone connected, however, there is no phone connected to the router. 

I have scoured the internet, mainly trying to resolve the first issue, but could not find anything on either, or at least, cannot find any fix for my wifi problem and any reason why a phone would all of a sudden show up on the overview page.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks.

10 REPLIES 10

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@Pando8181 wrote:

Also, a different matter that I don't believe is related, but my router overview page shows a phone connected, however, there is no phone connected to the router. 

Do you mean under the Phone heading? Is the phone led lit on the router?

Try a factory reset of the router.

The phone light is on. I've tried a factory reset and there still seems to be a device connected or that was my, perhaps incorrect, assumption. 

Ripshod

The phone you're seeing is just the built-in ata in the router. Nothing to worry about.

The sudden poor range on 2.4 is likely hardware failure. You'll need another router. 

Jayach

@Ripshod wrote:

The phone you're seeing is just the built-in ata in the router. Nothing to worry about.

I have the THG3000, so I've got the ATA, but I see no phone connected. That is why i asked if the phone LED is lit, it sounds like @Pando8181 has got digital voice enabled on their router.

I'll have to Google ata, but if you believe that's as it should be then that's great, thanks.

I thought the router was faulty, given the second unit has no signal issues. It just seemed odd that it was working and suddenly stopped. I can't pretend to know anything about this sort of stuff though.

Thanks for the suggestions 🙂

Jayach

ATA (Analog Telephone Adapter) built into the Vodafone router, the TEL ports on the Vodafone router connect to it.

@Pando8181 are you on FTTP (Full fibre) or FTTC?

Where is your landline phone connected?

Aha, thanks. I'm on full fibre, but don't have a phone connected to the router, which is why I was a bit confused.

Jayach

Ah, that explains it. As @Ripshod says it's the ATA which is enabled on your service, so that is why you have the phone LED lit.

I'm on FTTC, and my phone is still connected to the BT sockets, so my ATA is not enabled and I don't have the phone LED lit.

But yes, it does sound like the 2.4Ghz signal on your router has gone faulty.