cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

3rd Party router settings for Gigafast (Milton Keynes)

OmegaSyn
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi All,

I know I have read some posts on using 3rd party routers with the Gigafast fibre connection and the information needed, but my router seems to be requesting more information than normal so wondering if any one could assist or if I need to call Technical.

I have my PPPoE username and Password, and know that I need to put it on VLAN ID 911 for Milton Keynes, but my router also requests the following;

Access Concentrator: Enter the access concentrator associated with your ISP.
Service: Enter the service name associated with your ISP.
Host-Uniq Tag: Enter the host-unique tag related to the access concentrator and your ISP.

Not sure if these are generic details like the VLAN ID, or if they are specific to my account like the PPPoE details.

The router is a Cloud-Managed OpenMesh D200 (I'm a Managed Service Provider and testing this new product out on my devices first) Normally I leave those settings blank, and the PPPoE and VLAN work, but didnt seem to get a connection for gigafast so wondering if these are required for this type of connection.

Many Thanks

Liam

13 REPLIES 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

When setting up a PPPoE connection there are host of optional entries that ISPs can use - but at least in the UK rarely do, and so those entries can be left blank (normal).

I assume you've seen the other threads on this!  You should be connecting your router to the ONT (you'll not be able to use the provided VoIP), and in order to create the VLAN ID, it's normal to have to do this with the IPTV settings on the router...

Yes the router is being connected to the ONT, and the PPPoE username and Password is being entered along with VLAN 911 but not receiving any connection.

The router keeps prompting me to enter these additional details, I can ignore them and leave them blank, but as the router is not getting a connection from the ONT, im wondering if they are needed for this particular router.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The common issue is getting the password correct, if it's been read out to you more often than not mistakes are made.  Best to either get it/save it from web chat or an email.

The second issue I'm aware of comes from having to use the IPTV settings to set the VLAN ID, as you need to set it on the WAN port,

Yeah the username and password I have on an email - unless the is a unique way to format the username I have dslxxxxxxxx@businessbroadband.vodafone.co.uk

There are no specific "IPTV" settings on my router - settings for WAN are just DHCP, PPPoE or Static IP

The options I have available I have attached as an image below.

Anonymous
Not applicable

That should work!  Until recently many routers haven't given the option to set a VLAN ID in the account settings - unlike modem+router combos where it's a necessity.

*I'm not familiar with the router you are using, I guess the concern would be that if it is a modem/router with separate WAN and phone line ports, then it is possible the VLAN could only be expressed on the phone line port and not the WAN port.  If that's not the case then it should be good.  I guess I'd be checking to see if a different router works and even checking the ethernet cables - beyond that, I'm out of ideas!

Yeah its a pretty unique routers designed for the Managed IT Service market with built in LTE failover for if the ISP connection fails and other such features for an MSP ... It could be that its either not yet compatible with connections from an ONT, or could be additional settings required.

I'll play some more with it over the weekend, and see if I have a retail modem I can test, ill also see if I can get a response from Gigfafast technical to see if they have any idea about these additional settings, but thanks for the feedback either way, appreciated.

I use an Asus router for Gigafast and the only settings I need to add is ppoe user name and password and set vlan in the IPTV settings.

Perhaps someone can help me: I've read that vlan 911 is a specific ID for Milton Keynes but there doesn't seem to be vlan IDs for other areas.  Is this correct as I use vlan 911 and I live in Coventry but my geolocation puts me in MK.

Coud it be there are other unknown vlan IDs for different areas and how to find them ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

If the VLAN ID setting of 911 works, then it's unlikely there is a different one for your location, though the only people who would know for sure are the Gigafast support team.

As for Geolocations, these are based on your IP.  But your IP itself contains no specific location information, with the information being pulled from a database.  Thanks to Vodafone "recycling" IP addresses, it's common for FTTC customers to get IPaddrs that appear to be in the ROI or India - and occasionally even more exotic locations!

I guess what I'm trying to say is: "If it ain't bust don't fix it!".

*At the moment Geolocation site put me in Colerain, Norther Ireland, even though I'm actually in North East England!

I take your point, I have a fixed IP so with VF should count myself lucky it at least puts me in the UK. 🙄