Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

ASUS 3rd party router Superfast 2

Bredgwin
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hey guys,

Just wanted to put something here for those of you wanting to get a 3rd party router running. Its actually quite straightforward.

My Internet was dropping out regularly and WiFi range was modest at best living in an old solid walled building so decided to get a 3rd party router.

I now have a ASUS RT-AX82U and installation was easy. 

Step 1: Get your log in details from a chat with support. Then log into your Vodafone settings 198.162.1.1 i think it is, and turn off your WiFi.

Step 2: unplug everything and start fresh, 1st connect the ASUS ethernet cable provided from the LAN port on your vodaphone router/modem to the WAN port on your ASUS. 2nd connect the line cable and power lead back into your vodaphone box and switch on. 3rd wait until power is on and all systems running, then power on your ASUS router. 4th connect to your ASUS login via LAN or connect to the ASUS WiFi, and follow the steps by putting in the credentials. Use PPPOE i think its called this particular router autodetected the rest of the settings. 

Step 3: Let the setup do its thing, once complete your connected with the Internet give it a out 10-15 mins it will drop out briefly, turn the new router off wait 30 seconds back on and your set. 

I hope this helps someone out there :Smiling:

38 REPLIES 38

Jayach
16: Advanced member

Also available over CityFibre. 

Jayach_0-1688771871199.png

IM asking the question about the router not the speed offering. I have full fiber 200 to clarify. comes with a 100mbps guarantee. i was trygint to find iut if anyone else with thie router was only getting 1/4 the speed they were from the vodafone router?

its a straightforward Q 

Ripshod

What apps are running on the asus? The TrendMicro stuff can slow the router down markedly. Go into Administration>Privacy, withdraw your consent and Reboot.

What firmware are you running? 

Cynric

@JohnnyType2  You said, "its a straightforward Q ". However it isn't because Vodafone have been changing their product specifications and names recently, so it has been quite a tangle to determine whether someone has 32, 64, 100, 200, or 900 speed. Depending on where you land on the Vodafone website you cannot even see the 200 product.

so if i ask are you seeing 1/4 the speed no matter what your product from a 3rd party router compared to vodafone router is not straightforward?

i didnt post here to be flamed

Cynric

@JohnnyType2  If your router is only getting 54 then you are not connected to the ONT but using 3G/4G wireless telephone.

Setup info here https://www.asus.com/uk/support/FAQ/1044897

Now wind your neck in, nobody is flaming anyone.

Jayach

@Cynric wrote:

@JohnnyType2  If your router is only getting 54 then you are not connected to the ONT but using 3G/4G wireless telephone.

Setup info here https://www.asus.com/uk/support/FAQ/1044897

Good thinking, I hadn't even considered that could be the problem.

Obvious, now you mention it.

HappyNomad
15: Advanced member
15: Advanced member

@Bredgwin wrote:

Hey guys,

Just wanted to put something here for those of you wanting to get a 3rd party router running. Its actually quite straightforward.

My Internet was dropping out regularly and WiFi range was modest at best living in an old solid walled building so decided to get a 3rd party router.

I now have a ASUS RT-AX82U and installation was easy. 

Step 1: Get your log in details from a chat with support. Then log into your Vodafone settings 198.162.1.1 i think it is, and turn off your WiFi.

That would be 192.168.1.1...  

... Anyway, notwithstanding the downsides of using two routers as a modem and router as  pointed out by Keith above, what did you do in respect of your DHCP and DNS servers?   

Cheers :Smiling: the DHCP was auto config I believe and the DNS was set with a custom one from vodaphone (was a separate issue as it kept dropping out before). So when I set up I didnt do anything. Was I meant to?