Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

ASUS 3rd party router Superfast 2

Bredgwin
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hey guys,

Just wanted to put something here for those of you wanting to get a 3rd party router running. Its actually quite straightforward.

My Internet was dropping out regularly and WiFi range was modest at best living in an old solid walled building so decided to get a 3rd party router.

I now have a ASUS RT-AX82U and installation was easy. 

Step 1: Get your log in details from a chat with support. Then log into your Vodafone settings 198.162.1.1 i think it is, and turn off your WiFi.

Step 2: unplug everything and start fresh, 1st connect the ASUS ethernet cable provided from the LAN port on your vodaphone router/modem to the WAN port on your ASUS. 2nd connect the line cable and power lead back into your vodaphone box and switch on. 3rd wait until power is on and all systems running, then power on your ASUS router. 4th connect to your ASUS login via LAN or connect to the ASUS WiFi, and follow the steps by putting in the credentials. Use PPPOE i think its called this particular router autodetected the rest of the settings. 

Step 3: Let the setup do its thing, once complete your connected with the Internet give it a out 10-15 mins it will drop out briefly, turn the new router off wait 30 seconds back on and your set. 

I hope this helps someone out there :Smiling:

38 REPLIES 38

Should I turn off IPV6 there too?

Jayach
16: Advanced member

Are there any IPV6 settings on the Vodafone router? I don't think it is working on Vodafone yet.

But, no I don't think you will need to change anything there.

Ok was bugging me knowing I had 2 NAT going so found myself a bt open moden ECI fibre model, easy enough plug and play put in user and pass all done. But can answer this I kept seeing on the forum about setting VLAN to 101? What is this and do I need to do it. I can't even find a setting for that on my ASUS RT-AX82U 😕 but Internet is all up, might gained a few meg and seems a lost some ping. Dont want to fiddle any more than I need to

Jayach

If the router doesn't have a setting for it I wouldn't worry about it. It is only essential on Gigafast lines.

@jay thanks 😊  il bare that in mind then, still using if it ain't broke dont fix it tactic haha

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not sure if there are any vocal users on here that have an unlocked BT ECI modem that works!  Just as with the Huawei HG612V3b BT modems, they are usually unlocked such that they are "plug and play" - a part of this means that the VLAN ID tag in the modem is already set to "101" for you.

I don't think mine is unlocked, the owner had no clue if it was as they used BT but after some checks on the forum a few said you only need to unlock if you want to see line stats, the modems where globaly compatible with all networks from 2013 or something 🤔 

I have an asus 4G AC68U @ £270, my speed is less than half what im getting through the supplied vodafone router, I need the Asus as i have an AI Mesh set up on the premises. 

There is no point in wasting time calling Vodafones indian help centres as they are just reading from a script. Ive spent 20+ hours trying to get information. 

Its very disappointing that i can only get 50 mbps from a 200 mbps connection, the Asus has the latest firmware has the correct settings . If i swap out and use the vodafone router it sits around 220 mbps 

So a third party router is not always the answer.

Jayach

@JohnnyType2 wrote:

So a third party router is not always the answer.

Depends on the question!

Seriously though, if the ASUS is only running at that speed, it is either faulty, or you are doing something wrong.

If it's not a daft question:  Why on earth would you buy the Asus 4G-AC86u?  It should be more than capable of running circles around the Vodafone router, if it's set up correctly, and you are on a 5GHz channel.  But it's really a router designed for high-speed mobile connections!