Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Amazon alexa

Boobyd2902
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi all. 

Been with VODAFONE B for about 6 months broadband/phone.

Had problems with device connection with Vodafone router, mobile etc would not connect and had to change DNS settings, using Google 8.8.8.8 etc, would be fine then stopped again. 

Change to TP Link Archer v600, mobile etc fine but cannot get an Alexa to connect. 

Have been on Amazon chat/phone for hours.

It goes through set up, recognises wi fi, trys to connect and comes up eith

Cannot connect to wi fi

Or

This device is not registered. 

Have had a new Echo Dot sent, the same. 

Tried disconnected all devices when trying, unplugged lanconnect equipment, have had the router/echo side by side.

Any suggestions please. 

Also have got a Google mini connected fine, but it won't link with a TP Link smart plug, something about TCP.

Cheers

Bob

4 REPLIES 4

PaddyK
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

There is a known issue with Amazon devices and Vodafone routers, no matter what Vodafone may say otherwise.

The ONLY way to connect an Amazon device, and I had to do this with a Kindle latest edition and an Echo Show 8 was to set up my mobile phone as a 'network bridge', so these devices authenticate directly with the phone and not the Vodafone directly. Then I had a Wi Fi connection and internet access on both devices.

In bridge mode, my mobile phone provides the internet access, for device connecting to the bridge.

Oddly, the mac device addresses of my two devices show up in the Vodafone router settings, but never show as a connected device (even when connected through my phone) as they cannot authenticate with the Vodafone router directly.

Long term, I need to attach a router to a Vodafone router LAN port and set that up as the Bridge access point, rather than my mobile, so the Echo 8 will work for my partner when I am not in the house with my mobile.

Come on Vodafone, sort out the ports that these Amazon devices use and allow these to be seen by your routers. For now, I have a work around, convoluted as it is, but should not be needed really.

Jayach
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

I have 2 Echo dots (3rd gen), an Echo 4th gen, Echo show 8" and a Fire tablet. They all work faultlessly with the Vodafone THG3000. So personally i don't think there is a problem.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Provided your Alexa devices work on channels 12 & 13 the following should get the things working:

Rather than using your mobile as a wireless bridge, you use it as a Personal WiFi Hotspot, with the phones data connection making the internet connection.  You need to turn your modem/router off, but have the hotspot set up with the same WiFi Network name (SSID) and password as you have on the router.  You should now be able to get the Alexa devices registered, up and working.  Once working you can turn off the Hotspot and turn the router back on, and the devices should just connect through the router instead!

Thank you for this and is an interesting (and easy) solution to try. Will take a peek at this sometime over the next few days and see how it all goes and report back results. Cheers.😀