Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Can I change my home broadband channel?

anotheruser
2: Seeker

Hello!

I've got the big square Vodafone hub and recently moved into a little neighborhood. Sometimes my wifi drops to significantly low speeds, particularly at night time and whenever I check it's aligns with the channel overlapping a lot of others. For some reason my router is selecting channel 9 whereas all the VM and SKY routers in the area seem to mostly behave in their respectful 1, 6 and 11 lanes. 

Having used a wifi analyzer for a while I can see that channel 6 is begging for more routers to choose it, but I can't see any way to do this in the router?

Please can anyone help me? Seems like I'm missing something obvious here

32 REPLIES 32

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@anotheruser wrote:

I tried to install it on an emulator but had no luck so installed the apkfab on a old samsung I had lying around that is set to never update anything. Now it's lying behind the router whenever I need it.

Easy to change the channel with the old app, thanks for the help!

Seems a good solution, but crazy we have to go to such lengths.

GDH
3: Seeker

Es fácil si puede llevar los aparatos a emparejar un poco lejos del router.

Entré en mi router en modo experto. Entré en WIFI. Activé el WI-FI secundario en 2,4 GHz. Anoté el nombre asignado, en mi caso era Vodafone-Guest. Cambié la clave asignada por otra más corta, la que trae es larga.

Quité los amplificadores de señal WIFI, observé que mi radio de internet, que frecuentemente se desemparejaba, ya no se escuchaba ni podía emparejarla de ninguna manera. ¡¡Perfecto!!

Entré en redes en mi radio, encontré la nueva red Vodafone-Guest, la emparejé inmediatamente con la radio, funciona con 2,4 mucho mejor que con 5G!, traté varias veces de emparejarla con la antigua red de 5 g y no me fue posible (sin amplificadores la 5G no llega...), pero cada vez que la emparejaba con 2,4 tenía éxito. Ahora tengo en gran parte de la casa 2,4, llega más lejos y mejor sin amplificadores a las zonas en las que no llegaba antes bien ni con amplificadores!!!,

Sencillísimo.  Y es más sano, mucho más.

Y supongo que si la casa es pequeña bastará con poner obstaculos delante del router hasta debilitar lo señal.

HappyNomad
15: Advanced member
15: Advanced member

…and courtesy of that nice Mr Google, a quick translation:

It's easy if you can take the devices to be paired a bit away from the router.

I went into my router in expert mode. I went into WIFI. I activated the secondary WI-FI at 2.4 GHz. I wrote down the assigned name, in my case it was Vodafone-Guest. I changed the password assigned to a shorter one, the one it brings is long.

I removed the WIFI signal boosters, noticed that my frequently unpaired internet radio could no longer be heard or paired in any way. Perfect!!

I went into networks on my radio, found the new Vodafone-Guest network, immediately paired it with the radio, works with 2.4 much better than 5G!, tried multiple times to pair it with the old 5g network and couldn't (without amplifiers, 5G does not reach...), but every time I paired it with 2.4 it was successful. Now I have 2.4 in a large part of the house, it reaches further and better without amplifiers to the areas where it did not reach before even with amplifiers!  very simple. And it is healthier, much more.

And I suppose that if the house is small, it will be enough to put obstacles in front of the router until the signal is weakened. 

Jayach

Didn't understand @GDH's post (obviously), but still didn't understand the translation.

I have had to return a number of Tuya based smart plugs as they rely on a 2.4ghz signal for configuration just as I was trying to manage aspects of my energy consumption.

Surely Vodafone could add an enable/disable option for each of these settings, there is a significant number of home users, using such devices, with few 5ghz alternatives!

Jayach

@GlassFibre wrote:

I have had to return a number of Tuya based smart plugs as they rely on a 2.4ghz signal for configuration just as I was trying to manage aspects of my energy consumption.

There are a number of ways around the problem, if you check the forum. (probably the easiest is to use your own router)

Ripshod

If you want to keep the vodafone router you could ask vodafone to lock the 2.4 to a certain channel. 

LeoFrenchhere

To change your WiFi channel, log into your router using any web browser. Then open the wireless settings and locate the Channels drop-down menu. Select a channel and click Save. I also faced this issue while I was working on my [Removed] website so I solved it using this method. 

[MOD EDIT: This post has been edited to remove 'advertising' content please see Community Guidelines]

Cynric

@LeoFrenchhere That may have been true once, but the routers are "smart" now and all (most of) the settings we used to get hours of fun playing with are now auto-magically managed by software or remotely by Vodafone techs.

dclyall

Download and use the Vodafone Broadband app version 4.1.0 for Android and you can still change channel numbers

Think I got my app from APKcombo but there are several sites out there with older versions available.