Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Can I change my home broadband channel?

anotheruser
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hello!

I've got the big square Vodafone hub and recently moved into a little neighborhood. Sometimes my wifi drops to significantly low speeds, particularly at night time and whenever I check it's aligns with the channel overlapping a lot of others. For some reason my router is selecting channel 9 whereas all the VM and SKY routers in the area seem to mostly behave in their respectful 1, 6 and 11 lanes. 

Having used a wifi analyzer for a while I can see that channel 6 is begging for more routers to choose it, but I can't see any way to do this in the router?

Please can anyone help me? Seems like I'm missing something obvious here

32 REPLIES 32

Jayach
16: Advanced member

The obvious that you are missing is that Vodafone have, in their wisdom, removed the option for us to choose the best channel for ourselves. They believe they know better.

HappyNomad
15: Advanced member
15: Advanced member

@Jayach wrote:

The obvious that you are missing is that Vodafone have, in their wisdom, removed the option for us to choose the best channel for ourselves. They believe they know better.

More a case of… 

If we can get user interaction with the router down to taking it out of the box, plugging it in and pressing an on/off switch we reduce our support burden to almost nothing and we need no highly paid support staff to say, "is it plugged in, switched on and lit up?  It is?  Ok, the problem is with your LAN and unfortunately, we can’t help with that.  Thank you for choosing Vodafone, have a nice day”.

Wait… is that on/off switch really necessary?

oh what a bummer..!

It's a great router! Good speccs and works well if it just didnt use channel 9..!

Is this something they can change remotely if I call them? Seems a bit crazy but I'm sure the option is there to themselves?

@anotheruser wrote:

oh what a bummer..!

It's a great router! Good speccs and works well if it just didnt use channel 9..!

Is this something they can change remotely if I call them? Seems a bit crazy but I'm sure the option is there to themselves?

Not using the supplied modem/router, I am a little out of touch with it but I believe that channel selection is now dynamically handled by the router itself. 
Not sure if the companion app has any more or any less user selectable features than the router but may be worth looking at if you haven’t already done so.

The removal of user channel selection has generated many posts in these forum pages but clearly, to little effect.  Have a scout round.  

An alternative is to do what a number of us have done - replace the substandard supplied modem/router with hardware of our own choosing.

Jayach

@anotheruser wrote:

oh what a bummer..!

Yes they can, but good luck with getting anyone to do it.

The best chances of getting it done would be to use live chat https://www.vodafone.co.uk/bbservcd/

or call 08080 034 515.

Do let us know if you succeed.

I have a bunch of WiFi plugs that only work with 2.4Ghz. They no longer work with the Vodafone network. I suspect the lack of distinct separate Wifi channels.

Cynric

.@Knutbe It may be that the plugs do not work on 2.4GHz channels 12 and 13 and the router in its infinite wisdom has decided to use one of those two.

Thanks for the input. Looking at the channels using WiFi Analyzer, I'm on channel 1.

Jayach

When you say they no longer work, do you mean you can no longer configure them using an app?

Also by no longer do you mean they used to work on Vodafone and now don't, or they used to work on another ISP?