cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Can I override the wifi hub's minimal password requirements?

kesterlester
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

In order to rescue a filesystem on an embedded device, I need to fool it into thinking it is "at work" so that I can ssh into it and fix thing.   As I am at home, I thought I would just set up the secondary wifi on my virgin hub to match the same SSID and Password the embedded device sees at work. However the hub is preventing me from setting the secondary wifi password to the value used at work, because the hub doesn't think the password is strong enough.  (I.e. it doesn't contain the right number of letters or special characters, etc).

Is there any way of bypassing its determination to protect me from myself?

I just want the hub to let me choose a (slightly insecure) password for a short while.  Attached is the complaint it makes:

kesterlester_0-1613842359537.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you override the password requirements on the VF modem/router? No!  But then in order to do what you are talking about, do you need to?

I am going to assume that you have the skills to figure out what you are trying to do using ICS or another way of making a computer appear to a device as if that computer were instead a router.

*If you can't figure out how to do this, then you probably shouldn't be trying - that's not a putdown, it's a prod in the right direction!

View solution in original position

28 REPLIES 28

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you override the password requirements on the VF modem/router? No!  But then in order to do what you are talking about, do you need to?

I am going to assume that you have the skills to figure out what you are trying to do using ICS or another way of making a computer appear to a device as if that computer were instead a router.

*If you can't figure out how to do this, then you probably shouldn't be trying - that's not a putdown, it's a prod in the right direction!

You are right. Such things can be done. In truth I was just being a bit lazy and/or hopeful -- looking for a near-zero-effort solution (e.g. "there is  trick where you add ?XYZ=moo to the hub config url and you get extra options" or somesuch).  At the very least I can fix the device on Monday by taking the device into work (which I can do socially distanced as there is no-one else there).  But as there is no way round the password protection, and I'm a bit fed up with software configuration, I suspect I may simply get out my USB-TTL dongle thingy from the garage and try to get a serial console on it.  I think I know which pins to connect to.

Thanks anyway, at least I won't spend any more time looking for ninja options buried on the hub.

(edited)

For anyone who does actually need a solution to this:

Use the Vodafone Broadband app!

It tells you the password is weak, but it still lets you set it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thats a change that will have happened since the issue was discussed - at that time it was not possible!

You can activate the save button (i.e. un-grey it) by editing out a parameter for it in the page code. This is how I got around it anyway and presumably it was always a work-around. 

Hi

I have a related issue. I’m switching from another provider to Vodafone and am trying to setup my Vodafone router with the same SSID and password so that all devices incl. CCTV and house alarm will connect as otherwise would need to call out an engineer to update the WiFi connection. SSID changed without a problem to match old router. However, the password of the old router doesn’t meet the password parameters required by Vodafone’s router. How can I overwrite these so that I can use my old password? Many thanks. 

Amanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @Joe_Smith 👋 - have you tried changing it via the My Vodafone app? It might prompt you that it's not strong enough, but you may still be able to update it to what you want it to be. 

Sorry for the ##~##, but I had to say this worked great! Thanks so much, didn't want to have to reset all my smart devices.

@pwRestrictLame  With which version of the App did you have this success? This thread is quite old and the App has changed so the version details would be of help to the community.