Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Digital Voice and other Voip Line

dejjones
2: Seeker

I currently have conventional PSTN landline and FTTC broadband with another provider. I have a separate VOIP account connected via an ATA, such that I make outgoing calls via VOIP and receive incoming calls via the PSTN., using the same handset; (the phone connection is in to the ATA, then out to the phoneline)

I am considering moving to Vodafone who offer broadband with a Digita Voice "landline".

If I simply transfer the phone connection that goes, from ATA to phoneline, to ATA to phone connector on Vodafone router, will I be able to operate as before?

2 REPLIES 2

Masterman2941

If you transfer your phone connection from the ATA to the phone connector on the Vodafone router as you described, it is likely that you will be able to operate as before and able to make and receive calls using your own Voip provider. However, you may need to configure the Vodafone router to allow passthrough for the VOIP traffic and setup the necessary settings for your Voip provider. It's also worth to check with Vodafone support to see if they support the use of third-party Voip providers with their router.

Thanks for mthe reply.

I shall know whether it works in a couple weeks when I change over from my current provider. I have used 3 different routers since I've had my VOIP account, and none of these needed any configuring to enable the VOIP. I have assumed that the ATA is doing any necessary configuration, and converts the VOIP traffic to the necessary format for transmission over the internet, in a similar way to the processing that a PC does to convert this message to the necessary format.

I have believed that the routers do not know, or care, what devices I have connected, they just "route" the signals from the devices through to the internet.

Is this an over simplification of how it all works!