cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Gigafast 900 router location- what are my options?

MBoeck
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Greetings!

I signed up to Gigafast 900 and recently had CityFibre install my new router and terminal box (I think referred to as as an ONT?) at the nearest two plugs where the cable meets the house. This happens to be the bay window in my lounge.

Prior to Gigafast I had a BT line that was routed from the front of the house under the stairs where I have multiple Ethernet connections such as TV, Apple TV, AV Receiver, Playstation etc... Unfortunately I dont have the option of routing the black terminal box (ONT?) with a longer ethernet cable and relocating the voda router under the stairs as this would involve al lot of cavity work and disruption.

My question is, can I use some kind of Wireless bridge from the Vodafone roter location (bay window) to a possible adapter or router so I can connect my various hardwired devices under my stairs? Would this mean a substantial drop in capacity?

Many thanks for your help, the knowledge on this forum is great!

Matt

4 REPLIES 4

MillerJones
4: Newbie

No.

You knew your layout at the beginning why not have it installed in correct location from the start.

How about running external cable.

Jayach
16: Advanced member

In your situation, I would get a mesh system. Do away with the Vodafone router and connect the main mesh unit to the ONT. Put a secondary mesh unit into the understairs cupboard, along with a switch if needed to supply the extra ethernet ports.

Something from the higher end Deco systems should do. (but it won't be cheap)

You will lose easy access to the phone line.

I must say, I've not tried it, but it should work well enough.

Cynric

An alternative, if you have sufficient wall sockets could be to look at powerline products to take the network from the ONT to your collection of kit. 

Please note that I am a fan of powerline but others on this forum are not so keen on it as a solution. Also that if your house wiring is rubbish (i.e. a really old house) there will be a reduction in speed.

Jayach

I considered suggesting powerline adapters, but I am definitely not a fan.

And as the OP has many devices in the understairs cupboard there are probably extension cables in used, and they can upset the adapters.

Still, it would be the cheapest option, and so worth a try. Just make sure the adapter is in the wall socket and not on an extension cable.