Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

HOW TO: Use a third party router on Vodafone VDSL

jonnywombat
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

On Firday afternoon Vodafone UK sent a corporate email telling their support team that they can now give out Broadband username and passwords.

I have now set up my own router, and here's what i did.

Step 1 Ring VF on 08080034515 and get your username and password. The support team member then emailed me my Log in info.

Step 2 Swap your router. Keep your VF router in case you ever get an issue and need tech support as they will not support your 3rd party device

Step 3 In your routers web interface access the WAN settings. Set connection type to PPPoE, enter username and password and leave all settings as default EXCEPT enable 802.1Q and set Vlan tag to 101.

Step 4 Save settings and apply. Your router should now connect to VF. Mine took a couple of minutes to get a connection and another couple from the router showing it was connected to actually being able to access the net

Step 5 After a few minutes the connection dropped, and it would not connect again. After investigation I was told this is to do with VF registering your router on there network. Hard reset your router. Power it down remove the power cord for 30 seconds and power back on.

Step 6 Enjoy

This is just based on my experience of setting up my router ASUS DSL-AC68U, YMMV. However the ASUS is syncd at 73.6meg, when the VF router syncd at 72.1 and I have noticed a marked improvment in performance.

HTH someone

Jonny

343 REPLIES 343

Please help

i have the username and password from Vodafone and entered it in to the Tp link page but just won’t connect to the internet. Any help highly appreciated C7A37F4F-F18F-497E-89FB-5FCC851B09DD.jpeg

machare
13: Advanced Member

@Helzwrote:

Please help

i have the username and password from Vodafone and entered it in to the Tp link page but just won’t connect to the internet. Any help highly appreciated 

@IS your username in the format  dsl000123456 at broadband.vodafone.co.uk  where ' at ' is an @ sign?
I suggest you compare your other settings to those of the Asus router on page 1 of this thread.

I’m sorted thanks 

machare

Is the username in the format dsl000123456atbroadband.vodafone.co.uk where at is a proper @ sign?

It is worth requesting the username and password again to make sure they are correct.

AIUI it is not possible to enter a Vodafone username into an HH6

Only usernames ending as below will work.
@plusdsl.net
@plusnet.co.uk
@btinternet.com
@btbroadband.com
@dsl2.net
@f9.co.uk

Thanks machare, after three attempts they did give me what appears to be the correct user name in the format described, the problem I seem to be having is getting the two ends to communicate.  The Nighthawk reports that the DSL line is up but does to appear to negotiate a deeper connection, i.e. complete the login.

I will chat to Netgear's support if I need now I have had the support paid for.

When I got my password it was given in the format -abcdef

This was wrong, it should have been abcdef without the -

machare

@WookieeV wrote:

Thanks machare, after three attempts they did give me what appears to be the correct user name in the format described, the problem I seem to be having is getting the two ends to communicate.  The Nighthawk reports that the DSL line is up but does to appear to negotiate a deeper connection, i.e. complete the login.

I will chat to Netgear's support if I need now I have had the support paid for.

There is a post by Dannylee1980 on the first page of this thread which gives configuration details which you may find helpful.  You do need to set Vlan = 101  and 802.1p (priority) is better set to a value of 2

Thank you. machare

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have just successfully connected my ex SSE Technicolor router to VF and have seen an immediate 2meg increase in sync. Still below the 55meg for the superfast 2 product though. Still within 10 days of joining, so will see what now happens. I found this router to be extremely stable (80 days+ uptime on my old connection), so may need to manually reconnect to see if it gets better. Only problem is getting the speed guarantee now as obviously it isn't connected to the VF router and you can only claim through the app. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

When it comes to the discount I think it comes to the choice between having a stable connection with all it's services running properly, and having a POS router where nothing seems to qork quite right, but at least you get the discount!

I opted for the former, no matter what I do the VF router kills full/comprehensive UPnP and causes problems on almost any address (internal or external) that dares to use anything other than HTTP/HTTPS.  I reached a point where I just wanted everything to work without fuss and mess!