Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

HOW TO: Use a third party router on Vodafone VDSL

jonnywombat
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

On Firday afternoon Vodafone UK sent a corporate email telling their support team that they can now give out Broadband username and passwords.

I have now set up my own router, and here's what i did.

Step 1 Ring VF on 08080034515 and get your username and password. The support team member then emailed me my Log in info.

Step 2 Swap your router. Keep your VF router in case you ever get an issue and need tech support as they will not support your 3rd party device

Step 3 In your routers web interface access the WAN settings. Set connection type to PPPoE, enter username and password and leave all settings as default EXCEPT enable 802.1Q and set Vlan tag to 101.

Step 4 Save settings and apply. Your router should now connect to VF. Mine took a couple of minutes to get a connection and another couple from the router showing it was connected to actually being able to access the net

Step 5 After a few minutes the connection dropped, and it would not connect again. After investigation I was told this is to do with VF registering your router on there network. Hard reset your router. Power it down remove the power cord for 30 seconds and power back on.

Step 6 Enjoy

This is just based on my experience of setting up my router ASUS DSL-AC68U, YMMV. However the ASUS is syncd at 73.6meg, when the VF router syncd at 72.1 and I have noticed a marked improvment in performance.

HTH someone

Jonny

343 REPLIES 343

Hi all, 

I've just bought an Asus Rt-Ac86U router.

I've called VF and have been given my username and password. 

As this router does not have a built in Modem I have been advised I need to continue using the Vf supplied router but need to change it to 'bridge' mode. Anyone know how we do that?

I have an IT background but nothing in terms of networking so am out of my depth. 

The original Vodafone could not be set to run in bridge mode.  I don't know about the later one, but I would be surprised if Vodafone were to provide this feature.

An ebay BT modem HG612 would do what you want.   The one I have cost £10 delivered, but there are fewer of them now at that price.  Returning your Asus router and getting one that supports VDSL2 would be another option.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @YorkshireViking our devices can't currently be set up bridge mode, sorry!

I hope I'm not hijacking the thread but if I am I'll start a new post - but here goes.

I'm fed up with the HHG2500 due to many issues, but mainly because I want to run my own VPN server. I've considered a LAN connected TP-Link Archer C7 running DD-wrt, but that's turning out to be an almighty struggle getting the correct settings in the HHG2500.

So I've ordered a Draytek Vigor 2762 which is an ADSL/VDSL2 router having a built in VPN server. I will need a Vodafone userID and password for the login which as I understand can be given out by contacting the elves. I'm hoping that the Draytek will give me comparative or improved internet performance as the current setup,, but I'm a little confused about the DSL mode that my line has. According to the connection information, I have G.993.5 (VDSL). Having looked up the specification, ITU G.993.1 corresponds to VDSL and has a maximum rate of 55 Mbit/s and ITU G.993.2 is VDSL2 and has a rate of 200 Mbit/s. However it seems that ITU G.993.5 is VDSL2 vectoring which I'm hoping my Draytek can support.

Has anyone successfully used a Draytek Vigor 2762 to connect to Vodafone - if so what settings should I use?

HHG2500 Connection infoHHG2500 Connection info

Anonymous
Not applicable

Assuming you are on superfast 2 then its supplied by OpenReach using VDSL2 Mode 17A which on the cabinets usually top out at 80Mbps.  That maximum speed though is negotiated between the cabinet and the modem, so it's likely you'll see only a small speed improvement over the VF modem/router (the modem side is not that bad!).

The basic settings for getting the connection up and running are pretty much the same as have been listed here for other modem/routers though the set up pages are more convoluted.  It really just comes down to having your username, password, and being able to express VLAN 101 on the internet connection!

@Anonymous wrote:

Assuming you are on superfast 2 then its supplied by OpenReach using VDSL2 Mode 17A which on the cabinets usually top out at 80Mbps.  That maximum speed though is negotiated between the cabinet and the modem, so it's likely you'll see only a small speed improvement over the VF modem/router (the modem side is not that bad!).

The basic settings for getting the connection up and running are pretty much the same as have been listed here for other modem/routers though the set up pages are more convoluted.  It really just comes down to having your username, password, and being able to express VLAN 101 on the internet connection!

You were correct - the Draytek was straightforward to set up and it connects with mode 17A. Although yesterday the speed was up around the same as the VF, but today it seems to have dropped a tad but still perfectly acceptable. Now for the real job of installing the VPN server.

Draytek DSL StatusDraytek DSL Status

Has anybody manager to get a vigor 130 working using a TP-Link Deco M9 as the router?  I just cannot get the internet to connect.  Have followed all of the advice on here setting the PPOE username and password and setting VLAN to 101.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

It may be helpful to initially connect a computer to the modem directly.  You can then set up a new connection (via control panel Internet options not network in windows), so you get to put the username and password in via the connection details.  The advantage is that you might get to see if Vodafone has given you the incorrect details - which they are pretty darn good at!

Thanks Jack.  Will try that!

machare
13: Advanced Member

When configuring a modem (often a router in bridge mode) for a  PPPoE connection I have found it necessary to set priority (802.1p) to a value of 2.   This was necessary when I tried to use my router in bridge mode. If the router is in DSL router mode it is quite happy with 802.1p = 0    !!