Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

HOW TO: Use a third party router on Vodafone VDSL

jonnywombat
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

On Firday afternoon Vodafone UK sent a corporate email telling their support team that they can now give out Broadband username and passwords.

I have now set up my own router, and here's what i did.

Step 1 Ring VF on 08080034515 and get your username and password. The support team member then emailed me my Log in info.

Step 2 Swap your router. Keep your VF router in case you ever get an issue and need tech support as they will not support your 3rd party device

Step 3 In your routers web interface access the WAN settings. Set connection type to PPPoE, enter username and password and leave all settings as default EXCEPT enable 802.1Q and set Vlan tag to 101.

Step 4 Save settings and apply. Your router should now connect to VF. Mine took a couple of minutes to get a connection and another couple from the router showing it was connected to actually being able to access the net

Step 5 After a few minutes the connection dropped, and it would not connect again. After investigation I was told this is to do with VF registering your router on there network. Hard reset your router. Power it down remove the power cord for 30 seconds and power back on.

Step 6 Enjoy

This is just based on my experience of setting up my router ASUS DSL-AC68U, YMMV. However the ASUS is syncd at 73.6meg, when the VF router syncd at 72.1 and I have noticed a marked improvment in performance.

HTH someone

Jonny

343 REPLIES 343

machare
13: Advanced Member

Is the DSL indicator on the router on solid? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

From memory using the wizard on the DSL-AC88U was quick and painless (just that the all round speeds were poor).  So I'd suspect that the issue is the UN/PASS even if youve called them twice!  If you are a business customer the bit after the "@" (at) symbol is different, and they use a font that allows for confusion between 1's and l's when reading - so make sure you get the details in an email.

Yes "dsl" light on router is solid "on"

I can't see any difference in both messages user id and password is the same. Only in second message is added at broadband.vodafone.co.uk to username. I've tried set up with all providers from the list with no effect. Today I'll try to find out something else in Vodafone branch.

Hello everyone. Problem solved. 

It turned out that I've put low case "l" instead of capital "i" in my password.

I've pass thru quick setup with new password and everything is working now. Thank you for every suggestion added to help. 

So Asus dsl ac88u working well with Vodafone just pass thru quick internet setup like

Region: United Kingdom

ISP: not listed

WAN connection type: PPPoE

VLAN ID:101

Username: dsl........at broadband.vodafone.co.uk

Password: keep eye to capital letters

Enjoy

Hi all...

So after many many problems with voda broadband.... My issues are..

Constant drop outs.

Using multiple Ethernet ports causes problems etc..

Router has a Wi-Fi mesh system attatched so Wi-Fi on router is OFF.

Sync speed has started to drop from 40 to 33.5 now in last few days.

Really getting fed up with unkept promises from staff...

So thinking of a new router which will just work without to much setting up etc..

What have people used to replace Vodafone router please ??

Have read a few people have used but varoius reviews on line don't give great reading...

Thanks for your help...

First question is how much do you want to spend?

Well I liked to spend nothing and have a router which is up to the job....But we all want that and not getting it !

But below £100 I would think if you have any ideas 

I use a  Asus DSL-AC750  about £50 , worked well buthe wifi is a little limited distance wise. 

Vodafone is my backup system. On the main system I have a Asus Bluecave which is very good but £150. Wifi reached out in the garden as well.

Thanks. Not to bothered about long Wi-Fi range as mesh does that. Just a router that works ! I'll have a look at that 1st 1.

machare
13: Advanced Member

@Ianl49 wrote:

Well I liked to spend nothing and have a router which is up to the job....But we all want that and not getting it !

But below £100 I would think if you have any ideas 

The TP-Link Archer VR900 are quite popular the TP-Link TD-W9970 are cheaper.