Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

How to Set up a third party router with vodafone

gipjon
16: Advanced member

IF YOU ARE USING A THIRD-PARTY ROUTER THAT WORKS 100% WITHOUT BUGS.PLEASE PM ME THE MAKE AND MODEL SO I CAN UPDATE THE LIST

The first thing you need to do is ask Vodafone for your username and password. live chat with Vodafone is best because you can copy and paste the name and password into the router. ( some users did write it down wrong. password is lower and upper case. username watch out for zero and o )

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/contact-us/index.htm

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/bbservcd/

FTTC SETTING         ( FTTP is below FTTC)

The setting is the same for all the routers it's down to the isp (the setting page will be laid out differently but the setting are still the same, eg

Vodafone setting are

Vlan ID - 101

enable 802.1q (not on every router)

Username  - ******@broadband.vodafone.co.uk

Username - ******@businessbroadband.vodafone.co.uk  ( for business customers )

Password - ********

PPPoE

MTU Size : 1492

rest of the setting auto detect when the router and the dslam are negotiating with each other

List of third party router that work well with vodafone will update as more router are confirmed working 100%

asus ac68u                              ADSL and VDSL router with Ethernet + dual band Wifi 

ASUS DSL-AC55U                   ADSL and VDSL router with Ethernet + dual-band Wifi 

DrayTek Vigor 130:                 ADSL and VDSL modem with Ethernet ( UK model )

Draytek 2762 VDSL

Draytek 2862 Series

Fritzbox 3490

technicolor tg589vac :             ADSL and VDSL router with Ethernet + dual-band Wifi 

Netgear D6400-100UKS         ADSL & VDSL router with Ethernet + dual-band AC1600 Wifi  + beamforming

Netgear rbk40  :                       ADSL and VDSL router with Ethernet + Tri-Band technology

Netgear D6220                        ADSL and VDSL router with Ethernet + dual band Wifi 

Netgear Nighthawk D7800    ADSL and VDSL router with Ethernet + dual band Wifi 

Technicolor DGA4231/DGA2231 is actually the Vodafone THC3000/THC3000g

TP-Link Archer VR2800

TP-Link AC 1600                      ADSL and VDSL router with Ethernet + dual-band Wifi 

TP-Link TL-Link Archer VR400 V3 AC1200 Wireless MU-MIMO Dual Band

TP-Link VR600                        ADSL and VDSL router with Ethernet + dual-band Wifi 

TP-Link W9970                        ADSL and VDSL router with Ethernet + dual-band Wifi 

Zyxel VMG3925-B10B

List of routers with WIFI 6 that works well  

None listed as yet 

IF YOU ARE USING A THIRD-PARTY ROUTER THAT WORKS 100% WITHOUT BUGS.PLEASE PM ME THE MAKE AND MODEL SO I CAN UPDATE THE LIST

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gigafast 

Openreach the VLAN will be 101 or not required

CityFibre, the VLAN will be 911 or possibly not used.

Mtu 1492

PPPoE 

Username - *******

Password - ********

List of routers that works well with Gigafast

Asus RT-AC86U 

Cisco 5506-X

Linksys EA9500

netgear nighthawk ar500

FRITZ!Box 7530

TP-link M4 deco system

TP-Link Archer AC2300 MU-MIMO Wi-Fi Gigabit Router (Plug ONT cable into Internet port, run Autodetect > PPPoE > add username/pass = connected at full speed), no need for VLAN IDs

TP-Link Archer VR400 V3 AC1200 Wireless MU-MIMO Dual Band (1st Advanced tab, change the Operation Mode to Wireless Router Mode (the ONT is acting as a modem, hence it will not work if you are in DLS Modem Router Mode). 2nd  Do not enable VLAN ID or it will not work! Vodafone will tell you to set it to 101, if you do this it will not work! Keep the default MTU size (1480), do not change it to 1492, as suggested in several posts in this thread, or it will not work!. 

Synolgy RT2600ac ( https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Broadband-connection/Synology-RT2600ac-Vodafone-Router-CityFibre-PPP... )

List of routers with WIFI 6  that works well 

RT-AX86U ?

(from user) I managed to connect Asus DSL-AX82U modem/router and use it without Vodafone Wi-Fi hub finally. When use Asus router tutorial choose network provider as BT - Infinity. VLAN ID come up automatically as 101 then just copy your Vodafone username and password

440 REPLIES 440

Aye. I've just been working on the Vigor 2760, and during this entire time not had the Asus router connected as I wanted to get the entry point sorted first. The Asus will eventually be just my AP once I've the Vigor solved (if poosible). 

CrimsonLiar

What strikes me a slightly odd (now the images are moderated), is that the router side seems to be detecting ADSL.  It's probably 4+ years since |'ve touched a 2760, but I'm pretty sure they used to detect that properly.  So you could change the mode from auto to VDSL2, and most of the Openreach network will also work with MPoA using the same settings.  Other than that I couldn't spot an issue, kinda suggests something in the cabinet you are connecting to may have died!

Ripshod

Well spotted. I saw it too but you pipped me. There's no reason for the auto setting to not work. As you said, manually sorting that one setting should sort this out with VLAN 101

Crazy. My line speed has dropped from a solid 53 ish to 40 exactly (locked exactly at 39,999 in the stats). I figured it was due to me disconnecting and reconnecting 40+ times over the last few days and the systems just locked me to a slower speed due to thinking there was a line issue. 

I got onto BB 1st line support and after finally running their tests said there's an issue with the line/cabinet. So the 2 things could related (the speed drop and the fact I couldn't connect on vigor2760) or be separate. I shall let you know as I personally hate an unfinished forum question/problem. Also I had already tried the the VDSL2 mode and adsl mode in my many tests (no change). Thank you members for your help.

Kind regards 

Jayach

@smith2001 

You're probably right that DLM has capped you due the disconnections, what is your SNR now?

Is it possible there is a problem with the Vigor or its DSL connection? Are you using the same cable for it and the Vodafone router?

I've the same phone to rj11 cable used by voda and the Vigor. I just move it across when testing. 

Downstream Upstream

Current Rate39999 kbps19000 kbps
Maximum Rate53157 kbps21000 kbps
Signal-to-Noise Ratio9.9 dB6.9 dB
AttenuationDS1 34.3 dB, DS2 34.8 dB, DS3 53.3 dBUS0 35.3 dB, US1 29.9 dB, US2 37.5 dB
Power13.4 dBm6.7 dBm

Hopefully that makes sense. It's totally possible the Vigor is faulty but now Vodafone has assigned an openreach engineer I'll have to wait out on that. At the moment I have the Asus gt-ax11000 working off LAN1 port from the voda router with its WiFi turned off. Not ideal but working. Just want my faster speeds back now. 

Jayach

@smith2001 wrote:
Downstream Upstream
Current Rate39999 kbps19000 kbps
Maximum Rate53157 kbps21000 kbps
Signal-to-Noise Ratio9.9 dB6.9 dB
AttenuationDS1 34.3 dB, DS2 34.8 dB, DS3 53.3 dBUS0 35.3 dB, US1 29.9 dB, US2 37.5 dB
Power13.4 dBm6.7 dBm

The SNR being at 9.9dB is why the speeds has reduced, and is almost certainly due to DLM. Hopefully the engineer will do a DLM reset, but that will put you back into the training period, so best not to do too many disconnections for awhile.

Did the Vigor come with it's own DSL cable, and have you tried that, just in case it uses different pins at the router end? (unlikey I know, but if the Vigor is not faulty, getting it working shouldn't be difficult)

billyrg8
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hey,

I am hoping someone can help!!!

I purchased a TP Link AXE5400 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 6E Router and I am trying to configure this and failing miserably.

I am on the full fibre 900 plan and have an ONT box install supplied by CityFibre. I was under the impression I could call Vodafone, ask for the PPPoE credentials, with VLAN ID: 911 and configure the router., connected via ethernet cable directly from the ONT box to the new router . 

config.png

This router fails to connect and I receive an orange light on the Internet icon on the router. 

Hoping someone else has this router and can confirm if this work as expected or if I am unable to configure this router like this.

Thanks 

Ripshod

@smith2001 I've revisited your screenshot if the tobi window with the settings. Those settings they've given you are for ADSL. For a start VDSL2 uses PPPoE, not PPPoA.

Where the hell are they digging these ancient, now defunct (unless you're in the outer hebrides) settings? Why are they even on their system? 

I tried VDSL2 only again and vlan 101 just to be sure. With pppoe and pppoa selected letting it try for a good 5mins each time. Nada. Plugged back into the voda router and within a minute I'm back online. So suspect vigor2760 is probably the issue or maybe the thing the tests have found when they ran and the 1st line chat said there was an problem.