Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

How to Set up a third party router with vodafone

gipjon
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

IF YOU ARE USING A THIRD-PARTY ROUTER THAT WORKS 100% WITHOUT BUGS.PLEASE PM ME THE MAKE AND MODEL SO I CAN UPDATE THE LIST

The first thing you need to do is ask Vodafone for your username and password. live chat with Vodafone is best because you can copy and paste the name and password into the router. ( some users did write it down wrong. password is lower and upper case. username watch out for zero and o )

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/contact-us/index.htm

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/bbservcd/

FTTC SETTING         ( FTTP is below FTTC)

The setting is the same for all the routers it's down to the isp (the setting page will be laid out differently but the setting are still the same, eg

Vodafone setting are

Vlan ID - 101

enable 802.1q (not on every router)

Username  - ******@broadband.vodafone.co.uk

Username - ******@businessbroadband.vodafone.co.uk  ( for business customers )

Password - ********

PPPoE

MTU Size : 1492

rest of the setting auto detect when the router and the dslam are negotiating with each other

List of third party router that work well with vodafone will update as more router are confirmed working 100%

asus ac68u                              ADSL and VDSL router with Ethernet + dual band Wifi 

ASUS DSL-AC55U                   ADSL and VDSL router with Ethernet + dual-band Wifi 

DrayTek Vigor 130:                 ADSL and VDSL modem with Ethernet ( UK model )

Draytek 2762 VDSL

Draytek 2862 Series

Fritzbox 3490

technicolor tg589vac :             ADSL and VDSL router with Ethernet + dual-band Wifi 

Netgear D6400-100UKS         ADSL & VDSL router with Ethernet + dual-band AC1600 Wifi  + beamforming

Netgear rbk40  :                       ADSL and VDSL router with Ethernet + Tri-Band technology

Netgear D6220                        ADSL and VDSL router with Ethernet + dual band Wifi 

Netgear Nighthawk D7800    ADSL and VDSL router with Ethernet + dual band Wifi 

Technicolor DGA4231/DGA2231 is actually the Vodafone THC3000/THC3000g

TP-Link Archer VR2800

TP-Link AC 1600                      ADSL and VDSL router with Ethernet + dual-band Wifi 

TP-Link TL-Link Archer VR400 V3 AC1200 Wireless MU-MIMO Dual Band

TP-Link VR600                        ADSL and VDSL router with Ethernet + dual-band Wifi 

TP-Link W9970                        ADSL and VDSL router with Ethernet + dual-band Wifi 

Zyxel VMG3925-B10B

List of routers with WIFI 6 that works well  

None listed as yet 

IF YOU ARE USING A THIRD-PARTY ROUTER THAT WORKS 100% WITHOUT BUGS.PLEASE PM ME THE MAKE AND MODEL SO I CAN UPDATE THE LIST

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gigafast 

Openreach the VLAN will be 101 or not required

CityFibre, the VLAN will be 911 or possibly not used.

Mtu 1492

PPPoE 

Username - *******

Password - ********

List of routers that works well with Gigafast

Asus RT-AC86U 

Cisco 5506-X

Linksys EA9500

netgear nighthawk ar500

FRITZ!Box 7530

TP-link M4 deco system

TP-Link Archer AC2300 MU-MIMO Wi-Fi Gigabit Router (Plug ONT cable into Internet port, run Autodetect > PPPoE > add username/pass = connected at full speed), no need for VLAN IDs

TP-Link Archer VR400 V3 AC1200 Wireless MU-MIMO Dual Band (1st Advanced tab, change the Operation Mode to Wireless Router Mode (the ONT is acting as a modem, hence it will not work if you are in DLS Modem Router Mode). 2nd  Do not enable VLAN ID or it will not work! Vodafone will tell you to set it to 101, if you do this it will not work! Keep the default MTU size (1480), do not change it to 1492, as suggested in several posts in this thread, or it will not work!. 

Synolgy RT2600ac ( https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Broadband-connection/Synology-RT2600ac-Vodafone-Router-CityFibre-PPP... )

List of routers with WIFI 6  that works well 

RT-AX86U ?

(from user) I managed to connect Asus DSL-AX82U modem/router and use it without Vodafone Wi-Fi hub finally. When use Asus router tutorial choose network provider as BT - Infinity. VLAN ID come up automatically as 101 then just copy your Vodafone username and password

365 REPLIES 365

I managed to find the vlan settings and changed it to 911 but as soon as I hit apply it stated I was disconnected from the router and if it’s restarted then wait, I think it did restart but the page never came back!!! Now I can’t seem to get to the router login page at all. I’ve tried resetting the router and also tried disconnecting the network and reconnecting and that has no effect. Have I just managed to brick this router somehow?

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you can connect to either the WiFi or via an ethernet cable you can open up the connection properties from Network and Sharing in Windows and see what the address of the DHCP server is.  You can then try logging in using that address.

*What you've done should in no way have bricked the router, but there is always the tiniest of chances it was going to fail anyhow - it does happen, though I suspect it hasn't!

Yeah I really don’t know what’s happened here. As said I managed to connect to the Netgear router initially with the web interface as administrator, set up my network name and new password and then when I tried to configure the internet and change it to vlan 911 it disconnected me and I haven’t been able to get back to the admin page since.

so I decided to plug the vf hub back in. All things went very strange when I did that, because I wanted to try to use the vf hub in modem mode and use the new router for the Wi-fi. I couldn’t find modem mode on vf router admin page so just tried turning the Wi-fi off. it auto connected me to the new Netgear username and password I just set up, even though the Netgear still wasn’t set up for the internet, so then now I was just like, let’s try again tomorrow.... I unplugged the Netgear and wanted to go back to my vf hub only. Tried turning wifi back on, on the vf admin page (with Netgear disconnected) and it auto connected to the new Netgear network name and pw, still with no internet and the router was unplugged! The old vf network name and password has disappeared and not being found when my computer searches for networks.... what do I do now? 🤷‍♂️

Anonymous
Not applicable

If at all possible when you try tomorrow, try using an ethernet cable to connect to the new router.  Right now I'm wondering if you've managed to connect to someone elses WiFi - it'd not be the strangest thing that I've ever seen!

Haha it could have been for all the things I’ve tried. I have just managed to get back to square one again. I connected via Ethernet and in the end had to restore to factory configuration to get it to work. For some reason even though it was able to connect after I turned the Wi-fi back on, it still had no internet access, even with Ethernet connection, but the factory reset did the job. 

Now back to what I was trying to achieve 😂

i think I should similar with the Netgear router and reset to factory and then try to set it up in line with the vf hub to start, if successful I can then look at removing the vf hub. If I did reset the router and then try to connect it to the vf hub via Ethernet, how do I make the vf router modem mode properly and do i need to set the Netgear router up any differently?

simon17
1: Seeker

I've managed to connect my asus dsl-ac68u but now my speeds have halved. Is there any other settings i need to change on the router to get full speeds back?

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

You'll need to make sure the routers configured correctly @simon17. Get in touch with our Broadband Live Chat team and they'll provide you with your username and password, then go through any additional troubleshooting needed.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm gonna say it even if I regret it!  Asus make some great home routers, however, throw a modem into the same box and it always seems to cause trouble!

I suspect that if you've had to reboot the modem+router a few times during the install, you may have triggered the DLM on the cabinet you are connected to.  Which either means getting the DLM remotely reset - use FB/Twitter, but don't call phone support you'll just confuse them, or if you wait a couple of weeks it may go back up all on it's own!

Specific to the DSL-AC68U it often underperforms compared with other modem/routers but not by 50%! 

trompeusz
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I've just got an Asus GT-AC5300 ROG Rapture router working on gigafast.

How have you managed that?