Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Router won't connect to devices

HAMMERSTINGER
2: Seeker

We have been with Vodafone broadband now for a few months. The first router we had worked fine with regards to WiFi connection to devices, but we kept losing the internet, so a second router was sent. Wish now that hadn't happened, as the problems were at the green box.

The second router seemed ok at the beginning, but a few weeks back, it started dropping certain devices, which were saying they couldn't connect to the router. These were our Roku box, NowTV box, Firestick (which was only bought last week), and one of our Chromecasts, all in the living room. None of which are used at the same time btw. Occasionally there are issues connecting to our sounbar too. The router is only a few metres away in the hall.

Have made endless calls to Vodafone (assistants in Egypt), and have reset, rebooted, reconfigured etc etc the router again and again. The latest reconfiguring of the DNS seemed to get the router to reconnect to the devices, but there were intermittent connection drops, so my wife had to restart a programme around 40 times the other night, which is ridiculous.

The Vodafone assistant today said I should put the router higher off the ground. Well that worked for about 40 minutes. Now we are back to no connections.

It can't even recognise the Now box or the Chromecast fitted to the TV in the kitchen at all, and they are just down the hallway. The WiFi signals coming from the router seem too weak.

However, they seem to connect easily to laptop, phones, TV and tablet.

The situation is now ridiculous, and I seriously wish we hadn't taken out a contract with Vodafone broadband. It is ridiculous as, on top of our Vodafone bill, we are wasting money on streaming channels that we can't watch.

I believe that we need another new router, but I just keep given new and ineffective solutions from the advisors. HELP!!!!

32 REPLIES 32

Hi.

I have ended up leaving Vodafone as they eventually sent out a new router and although more devices connected, my work laptop still would not for work, connection kept dropping (I was kicked out of a tribunal because Internet dropped!). That was hard wired to the router.

I have been charged 120 for leaving contract early so taking it to ofcom for complaint. I spent probably over 20 hours on the phone for them to tell me it's my fault and there was nothing they could do. They also said no one else has experienced this yet I informed them of this thread.

Leaving all my contracts with them after the way I've been treated (130 a month I was paying for various phone and tablet contracts). 

Now back with sky and no issues whatsoever, its been worth paying more for a far more superior service and forego all of the stress! 

Jennaleoni that's a nightmare. So sorry to hear that you didn't get things sorted with Vodafone.

Have to say, and I don't want to tempt fate, but, since we got the new router, the non digital phone, etc, things have gone well. Not a single issue since the first conversations on here. We just got lucky by the sound of it.

We're running 2 laptops, 2 mobiles, a Roku box, Firestick, plus a couple of Chromecast too. There have even been any issues at the exchange box, so no Openreach visits. Crossing everything that nothing goes wrong now. 

Jayach
16: Advanced member

Support with Vodafone is atrocious, so yes, leave if you still have the option.

Having said that if you cant get a device to connect via Ethernet that is not usual at all. Does the cat flap show as a connected device in the router configuration?

For WiFi connected devices, Vodafone have removed the option to select the WiFi channel, so if any devices are unable to use channels 12 & 13 on the 2.4Ghz they will not be able to see the SSID, if the router is using one of those.

You can see what channel the router is using under Status & Support.

Thanks, yes, I’m going to cancel I think. Not sure how they think this is a good service at all! 

so I think what you’re saying is the fix is there is no fix for this issue? 

cheers Rich

Jayach

@RichMox wrote:

so I think what you’re saying is the fix is there is no fix for this issue? 

cheers Rich

For the Ethernet connected cat flap, that should be possible to fix, but if the WiFi problems are due to the router using channel 12 or 13, then there is no easy fix, although the Mods will tell you Vodafone can do it remotely, but good luck getting them to.

Edit: Any reply from the ever so helpful social media team on Messenger yet?

I was half an hour ago, but I’ve now responded with ‘how do I cancel’ and it’s gone quiet. I’m so disappointed.

Jennaleoni

Hi.

Did you get the issue sorted? I have had exactly the same issue and have been told after hours on the phone and 2 engineer visits that there is nothing wrong!? 

Work laptops cannot find the router and there is 2 of us needing to work from home. TVs and phones connect one minute then cannot find the router, connection drops out and still they say there's no problem. Now going down the complaint route because I need Internet for work and they are not supplying it. Cannot get out of contract unless they say apparently. Will be going to ombudsman to get contact cancelled at this rate. 

Hi

If you could post your configuration files from a PC then maybe......

This little bat file may help ID a problem...

@ECHO OFF
getmac
netsh lan show interfaces
netsh wlan show drivers
netsh wlan show interfaces

PAUSE

msinfo32

PAUSE

systeminfo

PAUSE
PowerShell -Command "Get-NetAdapter"
PowerShell -Command "Get-NetAdapter -Name * | Format-Table -View Driver"
PowerShell -Command "GIP -Detailed"
PowerShell -Command "Test-NetConnection"

PAUSE

You can either run the commands individually or as a whole by copying into notepad and saving as 

config.bat (not TXT) and running as an admin.

EG:

Coupled with a ping to 192.168.1.1 you should get an idea of connectivity.

C:\>PowerShell -Command "Test-NetConnection"
ComputerName : internetbeacon.msedge.net

RemoteAddress : 13.107.4.52

InterfaceAlias : WiFi

SourceAddress : 192.168.1.77

PingSucceeded : True
PingReplyDetails (RTT) : 10 ms

##########

C:\>ipconfig -all

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.77(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 28 February 2021 11:33:42
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 06 April 2157 18:23:02
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

#####################

Replace the router would be the next step.  Which is something Vodafone should offer.

They originally offered to replace it and I didn't not receive it after a week, i called and they said no because they didn't have an issue their end now. I've gone through all the configuration stuff, DNS etc. Still will not connect and even when plugged in with Ethernet cable it drops out. Had sky before with slower speeds and never had a problem, only upgraded for more speed and now no Internet at all. I was told complaints team would be contacting me but not heard from them yet. 

Thank you for getting back to me.