Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sharing 5g data from phone using USB on router

three5G
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi is there a way to set up USB tethering from my 5G phone on three network to the vodafone home broadband THG router?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Anonymous
Not applicable

Your router is basically a box running Linux, but just as with everything else, USB sometimes needs a hand.  Using the suggested Mobile dongles probably forces the router to act in a slightly different manner to normal.

So from what I've seen elsewhere.  With a third party router, it can be as easy as: Turn the WiFi off on the phone, give the phone a static local IP, and here's possibly the tricky part on the VF router - set the local IP of the phone as the Internet gateway.  That should be about it.

*On some third party routers, this is so automatic that plugging in a device that uses a USB port as a Network interface can be problematic - such as trying to use a Raspberry Pi Zero (no WiFi) for PiHole, and initially finding all your network traffic is routed to PiZero rather than the WAN port!

**Does not work on either a Moto E4plus or Poco F3 and my Asus RT-AC86U router.  The router appears to be happy, but the phones refuse to teather in an appropriate manner.

View solution in original position

13 REPLIES 13

Thank you for that , i did have a look at standalone mobile routers but that stops me getting my phone calls through . Also would like to make use of the equipment I already have rather than creating more electronic waste by buying more gadgets - if possible that is.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Your router is basically a box running Linux, but just as with everything else, USB sometimes needs a hand.  Using the suggested Mobile dongles probably forces the router to act in a slightly different manner to normal.

So from what I've seen elsewhere.  With a third party router, it can be as easy as: Turn the WiFi off on the phone, give the phone a static local IP, and here's possibly the tricky part on the VF router - set the local IP of the phone as the Internet gateway.  That should be about it.

*On some third party routers, this is so automatic that plugging in a device that uses a USB port as a Network interface can be problematic - such as trying to use a Raspberry Pi Zero (no WiFi) for PiHole, and initially finding all your network traffic is routed to PiZero rather than the WAN port!

**Does not work on either a Moto E4plus or Poco F3 and my Asus RT-AC86U router.  The router appears to be happy, but the phones refuse to teather in an appropriate manner.

Thank you for that will try it and report back. Never done anything like this before but will give it a go

Just disconnecting DSL did not do the trick unfortunately. There must be some settings that need to be changed on the router. Or may be I will try using a 4G phone as the setting specify 3g/4g only. will report back the results in due course. May be some one with vodafone pro internet might be able to check their settings and provide a screen shot what needs to be changed