Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Speed discrepancy after upgrade

rwba
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I was originally getting download speed of approx 39/41mbps wireless & up to 44mbps ethernet, then due to the copper cable replacement plan I was upgraded to Full fibre 80 at no extra cost to me, I then tested again (many times) & I was getting around 70/72 wireless and about 74 ethernet, these figures are roughly 90/95%  of advertised speed between ethernet and wireless.  I then decided I would upgrade to Full fibre 150 which has gone live today, on ethernet I am getting 151mbps but on wireless only 90mbps the difference here is about 60% why such a discrepancy when upgrading to a more expensive plan?

My feeling is that the router can't handle this speed & I wonder if Vodafone should have given me a new router but didn't.

Any thoughts?

7 REPLIES 7

Ripshod
16: Advanced member

Speed tests over WiFi are not valid - due to overheads you'll never match the WAN connection. I believe, in your case, you're only connecting over the 2.4GHz band. 

No, I'm connecting on the 5g band but why was there little difference until I upgraded to the 150Mbps fibre plan?

Ripshod

Something is interfering with the WiFi then. Walls, steelwork, TV - the list is endless. 

It's the reason vodafone have guaranteed minimum guaranteed Internet speeds, and not guaranteed wifi speeds. No-one guarantees wifi speeds. 

While some are happy with the performance of their router others are not. Not every vodafone router is equal, and those that do have problems have them rather severely.

I think you're missing the point, if it was a simple wifi issue of the type you suggest surely it would have been present previously but the difference between wireless & ethernet were negligible but the gap is now much greater, the only thing that's changed is I'm on a so called better plan.

Ripshod

When on full fibre 80 you were getting 70/72 Mbps. On the new service you're getting 90, which is an increase. You've approached the maximum for that particular router in your particular environment.

Without being in your home to run full diagnostics for you there's nothing else I can say.

Try another router. 

Ok  thanks for your replies, I hope you were not offended with me challenging your theory, it's just that I couldn't understand how nothing had changed so I expected the two figures to be closer. At the end of the day it's enough for my needs so I won't pursue it further. Thanks again.

Cynric

@rwba Also, WiFi interference has an element of proportionality to the signal frequency.